Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   V6 Cylinder Head Failure (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/v6-cylinder-head-failure-50309.html)

Seadog 11-14-2012 11:13 PM

V6 Cylinder Head Failure

What is causing V6 cylinder head failures? Is there a fix? What model/year vehicles are affected? Is it a carbon buildup problem? Would usage of sea foam fuel injector cleaner help? Would hotter spark plugs help? Would synthetic oil help? Is there going to be a recall/service bulletin?

kennzz05 11-15-2012 04:00 AM

Re: V6 Cylinder Head Failure

"Will googleing it answer my question!"

looks like its a case by case basis

Dealers repairing Chrysler V6 engines - Autoweek

Scottina06 11-15-2012 06:19 AM

There's a huge thread here concerning this issue

padgett 11-15-2012 08:30 AM

The only offficial announcement was in mid-August and did not say much. There have been a lot of posts but no real information.

Until there is either an offical revelation or a TSB (and am surprised there hasn't been one), we are just guessing.

That said what we know is that:
1) Usually affect #2 and sometimes #4 cyl
2) Is characterized by misfires in #2 and #4 cyl (most scan tool programs can display, is part of test #06). Codes P0300, P0302, and/or P0304 may be set
3) Valve guide damage has been mentioned - would explain need to replace head.
4) Manufacturing error has been mentioned but would not explain 3-4 different part numbers for driver's side head
5) Comments in posts could be consistant with hot/lean detonation. However it was said that heat was not a factor
6) "Betts said the problem has been found in about half of 1 percent, or about 7,500 of the about 1.5 million Pentastar engines" - Autoweek.
7) Most have been in Wranglers though other instances (WK2) have been seen. All of the car lines mentioned are large, heavy vehicles.

Bottom line: CJF has not said anything since August though with a return of cool weather the incidence seems to have dropped off.

We need either someone who would understand to examine both a failed and a new head or for CJF to issue a TSB.

ps found a reference that a valve seat was found to be "oblonged". This would be consistant with a valve guide problem and cause a leakdown test to be low.

See also Update on ticking Pentastar..new head... - Page 116 - Jeep Wrangler Forum post #3453.

Seadog 11-17-2012 01:36 PM

Autoweek article is good. I would differ with company that cause of cylinder head failure (low quality fuel/driving conditions/exhaust routing) is not associated with a design problem. Their fix in new cars apparently is to adjust design.
A lot of us have to live with the fear that our engines have a reliability degrade and may not last as long as they should. This issue may be degrading other parts of the engine. I smell in the low quality fuel issue ethanol & winter/summer grades.
At the minimum company should provide lifetime engine warranty, monetary compensation and issue bulletin of fuels & driving conditions to avoid. Would fuel additive help? Would premium fuel help? Can this exhaust routing be fixed?

Jahkneefive 11-18-2012 10:16 PM

Head failure was a mfg./quality issue NOT a design issue. It only affected early build engines and its very very limited in scope. As mentioned above you get a cel generally associated with a misfire. Replace with the new heads and problems goes away permanently. Doesn't cause any adverse issues with the durability of the engine.

Scottina06 11-18-2012 10:25 PM

my wifes 2011 durango recently threw a check engine for the #5 cylinder . First time the dealer replaced an injector. Pissed me off and wasted my time. It went about a week and threw the same code. Just got it back last friday after the head replacement.

padgett 11-18-2012 11:10 PM

Interesting, first I've heard of a passenger side (1,3,5) head giving the problem.

"Head failure was a mfg./quality issue NOT a design issue." - might I ask what you base that on ? I have not seen any information released on the source of problem.

Also "It only affected early build engines" - thought it peaked so far with 2012 MY vehicles. Do you know something different ?

jp467 11-19-2012 12:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottina06 (Post 712789)
my wifes 2011 durango recently threw a check engine for the #5 cylinder . First time the dealer replaced an injector. Pissed me off and wasted my time. It went about a week and threw the same code. Just got it back last friday after the head replacement.

How many miles were on it?

jp467 11-19-2012 12:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahkneefive (Post 712787)
Head failure was a mfg./quality issue NOT a design issue. It only affected early build engines and its very very limited in scope. As mentioned above you get a cel generally associated with a misfire. Replace with the new heads and problems goes away permanently. Doesn't cause any adverse issues with the durability of the engine.

This is not correct. If anything it seems early builds did not have this problem as much. If you read these boards it seems its a lot more common on the 2012 models.

padgett 11-19-2012 09:35 AM

Didn't it just become available with the Wrangler in 2012 ? Maybe that is the reference.

Does seem more prevalent in Wranglers, major difference is that most Pentastar WK2s have a 3.09 axle and wranglers seems to have s 3.73 so turns higher on highway.

Gasoline has been mentioned. Would think E-10 might run cooler than pure reqular, latent heat of vaporization of regular is around 150 btu/lb and ethanol is 396 btu/lb. Wonder what % of failures were on pure gasoline.

Something else I have seen mentioned but no corroberation is that US built engines are more likely to have the issue than Mexican (on window sticker).

Finally and one of the few statisics I have seen is .5% of 1.2 million Pentastars. What I have not seen is a breakdown by car line & suspect those over 4000 lbs are at most risk. If so the % of those may be much higher.

So after several thousand warrenty repairs, CJF must know a lot about which vehicle lines and engine builds are most affected. That is is not being released is significant in itself.

Scottina06 11-19-2012 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jp467 (Post 712843)
How many miles were on it?