Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Pushing 7K Overland Report (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/pushing-7k-overland-report-50334.html)

CaptRB 11-15-2012 03:50 PM

Pushing 7K Overland Report

First the problems!

1) Sunroof rattles or makes a glass against metal sound over bumps. Had it fixed once, but it returned.
2) There is a sound like a marble rolling around behind the dash on occasion, so something is loose. Checked everywhere possible. So the dealer will be taking a look at both issues in a week.

Beyond those admittedly small issues, our Overland has been fantastic. Every feature on board works flawlessly (except voice input on Nav of course!) and the ride comfort and foul weather ability are outstanding. Driving back through 7-8 inches of snow on our very twisty hilly road, the Overland acted like it was on pavement and loss of traction was something I had to induce. And that was on the stock tires. Obviously icy or deep snow conditions would be best served by dedicated snow tires, but I'm impressed.

With the Hemi we sometimes average 18.5 MPG overall with 17 MPG on occasion. Most highway trips are better than 20 MPG. Those numbers are also based on tracking actual gas usage. On a drive to Ohio from NY and back we did 21.5 MPG. The power and refinement that the Hemi lends to the Overland package is not to be understated. My friend has the V6 Overland and make no mistake, it's busier and lacks grunt on the highway and hills. He works the V6 harder than I do the V8 and his MPG is only slightly better. New transmissions will change all of this I expect, but for now we're very happy with the Hemi.

The QL system has been very nice. I've only used it twice on back roads. Dropping the car to park height is useful at some drive threws!

Handling, as I've mentioned before, is much better than you'd expect from a 5300lb truck, but there is no escaping that weight and you must remember the laws of physics or else you can end up in a ditch. A powerful 4WD system won't help if you slide 2.5 tons the wrong way! Or as I said to my wife when she drove it in the snow: "Enjoy the traction and weight, but remember momentum can be your enemy in a big vehicle like this."

Outside of the two rattles I mentioned at the start, fit and finish impresses us and everyone who comes for a ride. The quietness is another item that impresses.

As someone who owns home speakers that cost thousands, I won't say that the Overland sound system is top notch. No stock system is. But it's also surprisingly good and the only reason to change it would be for the "hobby" factor.

Starting up on a cold morning from inside the house...the seats and wheel gets warm, the auto bright headlights work perfectly, and all of the little toys are more useful than we expected. Like any car, time will eventually takes it's toll and things will fail, but the honeymoon stage is going very nicely and we love this truck.

Cheers,

Robert
2012 Overland (DFG)
Hemi
Adaptive Cruise
Chrome and summit grille:D

JeeperJohn 11-15-2012 04:51 PM

Re: Pushing 7K Overland Report

Thanks for the update, sounds like you are really enjoying the purchase. I have about 28,000 on my Hemi Overland and absolutely love the truck. What a quantum leap from the 2008 I traded in.

I have to say though that I'm bitterly disappointed in the build quality, which is crap. I know they can produce a better truck than this. I have squeaks, rattles, and buzzes all over the place. Everyone on here says its a minor issue in their trucks but my wife's Outback has over 65,000 miles and it's like a bank vault, quiet and solid.

In Jeep's defense I have one of the first WK2s built and that may be part of the issue. I'm going to trade for a 2014 Overland or Summit when I can order and hope they have improved the quality.

Anyway, enjoy your Overland and I hope your dealer can put it right.

CaptRB 11-15-2012 06:47 PM

My friend's Overland has over 20K on it and he has no rattles. I have two, but I expect the dealer to do something about it.

I also have a Subaru, it's a Legacy GT Turbo. I don't think there is a single part of the interior that does not rattle! On the other hand my father's Forester XT is tight as a drum.

Then there's my friend's new Audi Q7 which is rattling in the doors and sunroof. It's only 6 months old. But he also drives an older A4 that doesn't make a sound!

I think there's quite a bit of "luck of the draw" when it comes to these defects and the build quality. If my 2012 Overland proves reliable I may trade it in for a 2015 or 2016. If it does not that I'll jump right back into a Japanese or German or Korean truck. But so far - so good. The Overland is beyond comfortable and my Q7 driving friend is watching to see how mine works out because he may buy one in two years.

Robert

ajs800 11-15-2012 09:39 PM

Thanks for the update. I am sitting at 21k on my overland (v6) and other than a couple rattles (headliner and passenger headrest) and the crappy GY tires, I still look forward to driving it daily and have no regrets going with the overland saddle/black model as well as the v6.

Jim_in_PA 11-16-2012 11:27 AM

Thanks for your update, Robert. I'm just approaching 7K miles and continue to have no issues and am pleased with the fuel economy, getting similar results to you on the highway and just a hair less locally, although well above the "city" rating for our country driving. The one rattle I had (something loose in the courtesy lights) was fixed by the dealer awhile ago. I'm also pleased with the sound system for my non-audiophile purposes. Towing the small 2 horse trailer I acquired has also been great.

tnjeep 11-18-2012 07:11 AM

My 2012 Laredo V6 has about 8k miles now and has no rattles or any problems at all. My average gas mileage to date is 23.8 with the best being 26.7 and the worst at 20.6. Your friend must be riding his jeep hard and would probably get even worse gas mileage if he had the V8. I am not putting down the Hemi, I've got one in my truck, but those who say they are getting close to the same mpg's as the V6 are dreaming. The V6 should get between 10 and 20 percent better fuel mileage or 2 to 4 mpg and that is on 87 octane fuel compared to the Hemi's higher octane needs.

Jim_in_PA 11-18-2012 10:22 AM

tn, I've only used 87 in my V8 and it hasn't indicated that it wanted the 89 in any way. Highway I average north of 20 mpg and general rural driving about 16.

Vrrooom 11-18-2012 11:05 AM

Made a trip from MD to MI for the holidays. First road trip and my V8 '13 Overland is an absolute joy to drive. It's very comfortable, smooth and has no trouble through the mountains and maintaining a good speed.

What I did find out was at 68-70 mph, I average about 20mpg, however when running at about 80 mph, my mpg dropped to about 16. I wish the gas mileage was better through these trips, but aside from that everything is great.

ColdCase 11-18-2012 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tnjeep (Post 712492)
The V6 should get between 10 and 20 percent better fuel mileage or 2 to 4 mpg and that is on 87 octane fuel compared to the Hemi's higher octane needs.

The V6 should always get better mileage, but the amount depends on driving style. Those with a hemi tend to use the power while those with the V6 tend to drive for mpg. That can be 10-20% right there. On cross country 75+mph cruise control trips with plenty of hills, the difference is not anywhere near 10%. The hemi sucks fuel at a much greater rate than the V6 during idle, however, so around town and stop and go driving can show a larger difference.

So we see much variance in mpg reported here because the driving conditions the mpg is recorded can vary widely. I can get 26mpg on the highway, 19mpg around town out of my V8 if I drove for mpg, but what fun is that :)

tnjeep 11-19-2012 06:35 AM

Is that 26 mpg on the computer or hand calculated? If your getting 26mpg's out of the V8 on the highway you must be driving well below the speed limit on super flat ground or have a one of a kind JGC that the rest don't have.