Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Tech Tips DIY/How To (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f75/)
-   -   545fre trans filter change (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f75/545fre-trans-filter-change-50457.html)

MikeG 11-18-2012 06:53 PM

545fre trans filter change

Has anyone done the (2) filter change on the WK with the 545RFE and if so is the pump o ring hard to remove and replace ,also can I do this on my back in the garage with jack stands?

Thanks

Mike

viking757 11-18-2012 07:06 PM

Re: 545fre trans filter change

Ya you can do it on your back but a lift will make life easier as with any pan drop. A few of the pan bolts are tough to get to due to the cats being right there so make sure you have a swivel adapter. The O-ring is easy to remove, just make sure you seat the new one in correctly.

Good Luck!:)

MikeG 11-18-2012 08:42 PM

Yeah it's always easier with a lift but I figured I'd ask someone who had done it and I hate going to the dealer for most anything I just did the diffs and trans case but really didn't have time to look at the bolts which I'm sure will be half the battle as usual .... thanks for the reply

SvenskaJeepGuy 11-19-2012 01:02 PM

this is the only service i pay to have the dealer do, it is very difficult to do with just ramps.

Frango100 11-19-2012 08:53 PM

I didnīt do it on a WK, but on my WJ 5-45RFE. It is a little bita dirty job, since there is no drain plug so that you can drain the pan before removal. You will need a large recipient to catch the old fluid. Remember that you will only change 2/3 of all fluid in this way, because the torque converter will still have a few liters in it.
For the spin-on filter you will probably need a filter tool, on mine it was impossible to remove by hand.
For the oval inlet filter you need to install the seal first in the inlet of the pump and take care that it is flush (use the butt end of a hammer or alike). Thereafter you can install the filter itself. Trying to install the filter with the seal on it, will probably result in a detaching filter lateron and a tranny which losses its gears and a change on internal damage.
Not sure on the WK, but on the WJ the tranny pan is sealed with RTV sealant from the factory. There are gaskets available, which make the work easier (especially when removing the old RTV), but my experience is not so good (started
leaking after a while), so i only use RTV now.

viking757 11-19-2012 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frango100 (Post 713243)
I didnīt do it on a WK, but on my WJ 5-45RFE. It is a little bita dirty job, since there is no drain plug so that you can drain the pan before removal. You will need a large recipient to catch the old fluid. Remember that you will only change 2/3 of all fluid in this way, because the torque converter will still have a few liters in it.
For the spin-on filter you will probably need a filter tool, on mine it was impossible to remove by hand.
For the oval inlet filter you need to install the seal first in the inlet of the pump and take care that it is flush (use the butt end of a hammer or alike). Thereafter you can install the filter itself. Trying to install the filter with the seal on it, will probably result in a detaching filter lateron and a tranny which losses its gears and a change on internal damage.
Not sure on the WK, but on the WJ the tranny pan is sealed with RTV sealant from the factory. There are gaskets available, which make the work easier (especially when removing the old RTV), but my experience is not so good (started
leaking after a while), so i only use RTV now.

Good advice and it is a bit messy. I had some splash onto me when the RTV let go...I used RTV to reseal as well. But I want to reiterate make you with the new o-ring to seat it flush BEFORE you install the filter.