Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Export Grand Cherokee 2011+ (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f190/)
-   -   O No, our CRD is broken! (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f190/o-no-our-crd-is-broken-50467.html)

John47 11-19-2012 04:44 AM

O No, our CRD is broken!

Another tale of woe......
Yesterday cruising beautifully with the van south of Peak Hill NSW, bong! the dash lit like a Christmas tree and the engine shut down at 95kph. Unable to restart and all sorts of lights lit. Tried lock, unlock, disconnected battery,, no start.
Call Jeep assist - they dispatch nearest towtruck, and van and Jeep recovered to Parkes.
Today Jeep got flatopped to Orange, as nearest dealer, (we get organised with hire car by Jeep assist - lovely lady very helpful), eventually Jeep gets hooked to computer - 1 code only logged - overpressure fuel rail. Related to a sensor in the back of the fuel rail and apparently one of the very few codes that will cause a complete shutdown immediately!!! (Never mind that the vehicle is mobile on the highway - scary). Nothing that they can see caused it - reset code and Jeep runs perfectly again. All good - NO!!
We agree with the service tech that this is a safety issue....very well - they'll replace the fuel rail as it comes with the sensor - can't get them separate. 3 weeks ex USA.........(and that's with THEM crossing fingers)
Outcome is we are now driving white rental mine ute (with a flashing light) - the only vehicle available with a tow hitch.
We'll come back to Orange some time in the future when the Jeep gets its parts......
High praise for Jeep assist people - a number of calls to us today to check if all was OK, they'll pay for accommodation and the rentals - just a major pain with the inconvenience but shouting won't change that.
I'll keep you posted down the track - but by the way - if you are towing with your Jeep and it breaks down - the towed item isn't part of the recovery.....we got sorted, but may be an issue depending on who you strike on the day.
John

Matty470 11-19-2012 05:34 AM

Re: O No, our CRD is broken!

Damn!!!....
Luckily Jeep Assist are living up to their name...

Hope it all gets sorted quickly for you.

BobT 11-19-2012 05:56 AM

Nasty! But good you were warned. A fuel rail in a CRD is not something one would want to be near when it blows. The CRD runs at a rail pressure of 1,600 bar. The bottom of the Mariana Trench is at about 1,100 bar.

GMWK2 11-20-2012 12:27 AM

Quote:

3 weeks ex USA.........(and that's with THEM crossing fingers)
Good to hear that Jeep Assist have been good, but...3 weeks is crazy.

1. Did you suggest they take one off a demonstrator / yard stock. That is what they did for mine when it broke the idler pully.

2. Pretty sure planes fly between Australia and USA fairly regular these days - get Clyde Campbell to put it in his hand luggage.

BobT 11-20-2012 02:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMWK2 (Post 713313)
Good to hear that Jeep Assist have been good, but...3 weeks is crazy.

1. Did you suggest they take one off a demonstrator / yard stock. That is what they did for mine when it broke the idler pully.

2. Pretty sure planes fly between Australia and USA fairly regular these days - get Clyde Campbell to put it in his hand luggage.

3 weeks? They could do it in 3 days if they wanted to pay express freight which they should seeing it was their faults they didn't have it in stock. I once ordered a very large print of one of my photos mounted on aluminium plate. I ordered it from a processing lab in California on Wednesday night Oz time. They printed and shipped it and it arrived at Mascot on Friday night. Couriers don't deliver on the weekend so I got it on Monday.

John47 11-20-2012 04:24 AM

we went through all the possibilities.....and I feel confident they will work to get it sorted ASAP (i gotta say that don't I ???).
Left Parkes this morning in the Triton and got 15k and bong - engine management light on and into limp mode!!!! What have I done!!
Take the thing 120k to Orange and swap for another.
10 long hours later we are in Wangaratta - I'm working on the stock of the cold beer in the fridge.
Bugger.
There's a 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Silver Laredo parked up from us, hitched to a new 20ft off road van - I'm thinking I'll go knock on his door........nah....wouldn't be right.