Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Performance Modifications (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f6/)
-   -   Mopar cold air intake or aem brute force (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f6/mopar-cold-air-intake-or-aem-brute-force-5047.html)

SPECIALED 12-28-2009 12:41 AM

Mopar cold air intake or aem brute force

Hey fellas...... Quick question. Trying to make a decision on cai and the budget is a factor. Is there a big difference between the mopar cold air intake as compared to aem or k&n. Leaning toward aem brute force. Also, is it necessary to get a tuner after this mod to ensure that the computer is calibrated properly. Appreciate any help...... Thanks.

05quadratrac 12-28-2009 02:18 AM

Re: Mopar cold air intake or aem brute force

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPECIALED (Post 121712)
Hey fellas...... Quick question. Trying to make a decision on cai and the budget is a factor. Is there a big difference between the mopar cold air intake as compared to aem or k&n. Leaning toward aem brute force. Also, is it necessary to get a tuner after this mod to ensure that the computer is calibrated properly. Appreciate any help...... Thanks.

After looking around I went with the K&N model 63 as it replaced everything right up to the engine intake. It sounded awesome and was pretty easy to install. The others I believe left the resonator box on the 4.7 engine which I wanted to do away with. I have a video of mine on here from right after the install.

06HemiLtd 12-28-2009 07:34 AM

it looks like you have the 5.7L Hemi. a lot of the members here will recommend the Bwoody CAI as it is the only "True" CAI on the market for the Hemi. it's available in either 3.5" or 4" and they can paint them several colors. Bwoody is a vendor here. having said that, i have the AEM Brute Force and absolutely love it. definite improvement in throttle response. sound is unbelievable. you could tell immediately that the Hemi needed to breathe better.

SPECIALED 12-28-2009 10:23 AM

Thanks for the response. I do have the 5.7 liter hemi in my '05 grand cherokee. Did you use a tuner right after installing the cold air intake, or did the hemi run fine without it? Looking to get the best performance possible. Thanks.

Joe in PA 12-28-2009 01:09 PM

I have the Mopar intake on my 07 hemi along with a predator tune. A lot of folks will tell you it ain't a true CAI but frankly I don't know that it really makes that big a difference. There are also those who will tell you that you don't need a tune with the intake and that is probably true in that the engine will adjust to the added flow. But if you want to take full advantage of the potential power gains from an intake, IMHO you'd be better off with a tune. ;)

Motteler621 12-28-2009 01:28 PM

i just added a k&n to my 4.7 liter. How do you tune it?

ryanwk 12-28-2009 01:47 PM

i love my aem:D

SPECIALED 12-28-2009 04:50 PM

Sounds like the aem is a popular choice. I'm thinking about the diablosport predator as far as the tuner goes. Just need to make sure it's available for the 2005 5.7 liter hemi. Would love to get rid of that speed governor if possible. Greatly appreciate all the help....... Thanks again. :d

Joe in PA 12-28-2009 05:23 PM

Do a good search on the 05 hemi and predator tunes here before putting your money down.

blackpepper 12-28-2009 08:28 PM

AEM is a great choice I had it and it's loud.. because it's made of metal. Metal intakes can get heat soaked.. if you get the AEM pick up some "DEI Cool Tape" and wrap the intake tube with it. It will reduce the temperatures significantly.