Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/)
-   -   Drive to three wheels only ??? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/drive-to-three-wheels-only-50481.html)

StoneCold 11-19-2012 11:41 AM

Drive to three wheels only ???

Ok guys. Had a rumbling sound coming from the front drivers side for a few weeks now. Replaced a cv joint as I thought that was the culprit. But no, still there!

Finally got the Jeep up on a ramp today. We've discovered that it seems to be getting drive to only three wheels. The front passenger one doesnt seem to get any drive at all.

I had previously had the diff apart assuming that was the cause of the rumble, but everything looked ok. Fluids have always been done properly.

Any ideas???

Frango100 11-19-2012 07:10 PM

Re: Drive to three wheels only ???

Your jeep is Quadra drive?
When you put the front wheel in the air and rotate the passengers side, does the other side rotate into the opposite direction? When you have quadra drive and you rotate one wheel, at a certain moment the Vari-loc should start working and both front wheels will rotate in the same direction.
But what did you see to believe that the torque only goes to 3 wheels?

cheapjeep 11-19-2012 10:29 PM

Yep could be a quadratrac with a rear limited slip. Then this would be normal.

StoneCold 11-20-2012 02:09 AM

Yeah it's quadra drive. We put it up on the ramp, put it into drive and three wheels turned. The passenger one didn't turn at all. We could spin it independantly on its own.

Frango100 11-20-2012 06:16 AM

That is weird, the passengers side wheel is (at least should be) directly connected to the differential with the drive shaft. If you just checked the differential to be ok, or the splines of the axle shaft to diff are damaged, or the CV joint or the splines of the axle shaft to the hub. I would think that the problem is with the CV joint.
When the left front wheel turns, the right front wheel should turn as well.

StoneCold 11-20-2012 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frango100 (Post 713403)
That is weird, the passengers side wheel is (at least should be) directly connected to the differential with the drive shaft. If you just checked the differential to be ok, or the splines of the axle shaft to diff are damaged, or the CV joint or the splines of the axle shaft to the hub. I would think that the problem is with the CV joint.
When the left front wheel turns, the right front wheel should turn as well.

My thoughts exactly, very strange. The CV joint I replaced was on the drivers side. I've given the passenger side wheel a good shake and the hub seems to be ok.

:confused:

Frango100 11-20-2012 02:15 PM

When you turn the passengers side wheel by hand, does it just turn freely? If there is nothing wrong with the axle shafts, then the drivers side wheel should have turned with twice the speed of the rear wheels, when the passengers side wheel is not turning at all. In that case something should be holding the passengers side wheel and also the Vari-Lock in the diff is then not working.

hoffmanestates 11-20-2012 08:29 PM

Slight drag on brake?

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2

StoneCold 11-21-2012 03:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hoffmanestates (Post 713738)
Slight drag on brake?

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2

Shouldn't be. Calipers and pads are brand new, but it's worth a check :thumbsup:

Thing is it could have been like this for years. Never had it on a ramp in drive before.

Frango100 11-21-2012 05:08 AM

But at least the vari-lock in the diff doesnīt seem to be working, because it shouldīt let one wheel receive all the torque and the other nothing. It works now equal as an open diff, but you said that you could turn the passengers side wheel freely by hand, didnīt you?

StoneCold 11-21-2012 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frango100 (Post 713867)
But at least the vari-lock in the diff doesnīt seem to be working, because it shouldīt let one wheel receive all the torque and the other nothing. It works now equal as an open diff, but you said that you could turn the passengers side wheel freely by hand, didnīt you?

Yeah Frank, the passenger wheel spins with virtually no resistance. The drivers side is much harder to turn, by hand anyway.

Frango100 11-21-2012 06:02 PM

What happens if you just raise the passengers side wheel from the ground and turn it? Do you see the propeller shaft turning? If you put the T-case in 4-Lo, will the wheel be blocked? If no, then for sure there is a problem in between the passengers side wheel and the diff. In that case i would open the diff cover to see what is happening in there when you turn the passengers side wheel.