Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems Discussion (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f77/)
-   -   HID Troubleshooting ??? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f77/hid-troubleshooting-5053.html)

Cattivo7 12-28-2009 09:50 AM

HID Troubleshooting ???

Whats up guys... This past weekend I installed Kensun 6000K HIDs in my fog lamps and low beams. The install was simple enough except for the fact that I didn't know about this forum, hence I had no idea about needing a relay for the headlights. (I have the relays on order.)

Saturday night I used the truck even though the headlights were flickering due to the bad weather. They stayed on the whole time with no problems aside from the flickering issue. They were on when I got home Sat night. This morning I had to take the truck to the dealership b/c I got the service 4 wheel drive system warning light Sat nite. Of course it's icing/snowing out so I go to turn my lights on and get nothing. The fogs work but the headlights don't. Can anyone clue me in on what may be the problem? Is it that the relay hasn't been installed yet or is it the bulbs and/or balasts? I hadn't started the truck again till this morning. I know they say the flickering can cause the bulbs to die out early but can two hours of being on (1 hr each way) cause premature death that quickly?

Matt 12-28-2009 10:02 AM

Re: HID Troubleshooting ???

Probably a relay issue.

Check your grounds (need to be sanded down to bare metal and fastened securely). 90% of HID problems are grounds - and people saying they are good when in fact they are not. Your ground is just as important as your power. Circuit is not complete with a shitty ground.

Did you leave your bulbs on for 10 minutes the first time you fired them up? That's usually recommended break-in for HID's.

Again, this is probably a relay issue.

Cattivo7 12-28-2009 10:09 AM

Thanks for the quick reply. The kit is a straight plug & play so I didn't have to actually ground any wires. I haven't been able to check the wiring yet b/c I brought the truck for service early this morning...hoping to check it tonight if it's ready.

Matt 12-28-2009 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cattivo7 (Post 121796)
Thanks for the quick reply. The kit is a straight plug & play so I didn't have to actually ground any wires. I haven't been able to check the wiring yet b/c I brought the truck for service early this morning...hoping to check it tonight if it's ready.

Oh yeah, haha, forgot you don't have the relay yet (duh!). :p

Honestly, it sounds like a relay issue. But when you do get it, don't fawk around with the grounds! :D :p

B.P.O.D 12-28-2009 11:21 AM

take a pic of the set up as well. that will help us

Scottina06 12-28-2009 02:45 PM

hmmmm....you coulda burned out the bulbs...but I would check the headlights fuses first. I would uninstall the HID's till you get the relays

White WK Swagga 12-28-2009 03:59 PM

I had a ballast go bad and after a few days of flickering it killed the bulb.

Cattivo7 12-28-2009 06:46 PM

Shockingly when I picked the truck up from getting it serviced (got the service 4 wheel drive light) the lights turned on. I'm wondering if the flickering may have triggered a code in the ECU causing them not to light up. The dealer cleared all the codes when they fixed the 4 wheel drive error message. Thankfully its not my daily driver so I can wait for the relays to come in. Guess only time will tell.

Scottina06 12-28-2009 07:34 PM

^^^^^cool. Let us know when they arrive and you get them in.

Frankie 12-28-2009 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cattivo7 (Post 122125)
Shockingly when I picked the truck up from getting it serviced (got the service 4 wheel drive light) the lights turned on. I'm wondering if the flickering may have triggered a code in the ECU causing them not to light up. The dealer cleared all the codes when they fixed the 4 wheel drive error message. Thankfully its not my daily driver so I can wait for the relays to come in. Guess only time will tell.

I doubt the flickering caused the code!

I had my lows installed without a relay for a week or so and they would sometimes not turn on...Especially right after they were turned off!

I also doubt that the bulb or ballast went bad...The relay should solve your probs!

:thumbsup:

Cattivo7 12-30-2009 11:50 PM

Well the relays came in today, just in time for the snow tomorrow. I installed them earlier tonight and all seems to be working perfectly (knock on wood :D ) I'll let you all know if things change. Thanks for all the help!!! :thumbsup:

Scottina06 12-31-2009 09:00 AM

awesome!