Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Interior/Exterior/Visual (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f182/)
-   -   Help hid (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f182/help-hid-50565.html)

CatMan879 11-20-2012 08:43 PM

Help hid

So I recently returned home from a short underway with my ship (6 days) and I started up my Jeep and the drivers side headlight did not come on. I jiggled the relay harness a little and checked some other things real quick but nothing helped. So today i got home used my multimeter and rung out each wire hooked up to the drivers side HID and everything was great. So then i pulled out my headlight and rung out the cable between the ballast and the bulb and it still came out fine. I am lost. I swapped bulbs I swapped ballast, i checked the ground everything seems fine and the damn bulbs just wont light, passenger side is just fine fires up no problem. any suggestions, i probably wont be able to do anything again till Friday so. i have time for suggestions. thanks.

DAVY27 11-20-2012 09:10 PM

Re: Help hid

i think the relay might be going bad. Same thing happened on mine, driver side would sometimes not fire, got a new relay and problem solved

CatMan879 11-20-2012 09:25 PM

I never thought of the relay never ever had issues with them i will check that out thanks

CatMan879 11-20-2012 10:15 PM

Ok switched out the relay and no dice anyone have any other ideas

CatMan879 11-21-2012 06:31 PM

No one has any other ideas

ny450es 11-21-2012 08:58 PM

do you have OEM HID's? i've got the same problem. i noticed the drivers side had a different color than the passenger side...almost a purplish hue to the light. then about a week later...my driver's side fires up(still a diffferent color than normal) for a few seconds then starts to flicker. then goes out. if i immediately turn the lights on and off the driver's side fires up and starts to flicker right away then goes out. i'm goin to look at it tomorrow. the jeep dealer told me they rarely have sold the bulbs because they last a long time. don't know if its true or that the bulb costs $200 a piece...give or take $20 bucks. regular bulbs either work or they don't...i don't know anything about hid's if they work the same way. hopefully someone can shed some light.

TimmyB 11-22-2012 02:43 AM

Does the bulb turn on when you have it all hooked up with the bulb out of the headlight housing? If so, try putting it in the housing while its still on and see what happens, very carefully and prob wear a glove. Maybe you have a bad wire and the sheathing is worn and causing it to ground out when moved a certain way. If you say you swapped the drivers and passengers balasts and relays around and it still doesnt work then maybe it has something to do with the cars harness.

My low beam HIDS developed a bad habit of having one light all of a sudden just go out. I was too lazy to trace the cause of it, but did notice the housing on both relays were buldging and cracked so figured it was that. I bought a cheap set of Xentec HIDs off Ebay for 29 bucks, but forgot they dont automatically come with relays so I didnt get them in the shippment. I installed them anyways and they now work perfectly with the old existing relays still in. Odd.

CatMan879 11-22-2012 09:24 AM

No I have an aftermarket set and thanks timmy ill try that out and see whats up.

CatMan879 11-23-2012 05:53 PM

ok guys I pulled the bulb out and tried that I took my relay harness from the passenger side and tried that the drivers side just does not want to light tomorrow I am pulling the bumper off pulling out the lights re checking every single connection and wire I am all out of ideas why this is not working

06HemiWK 11-24-2012 09:53 AM

check ur fuses, and add that connection grease to the conectors.

DBIRD16 11-24-2012 05:22 PM

I just installed HIDs in the low beams for my 2012 Laredo x with a relay harness. Both lights turn on no problem but when I start the jeep the relay makes a clicking sound and the lights begin to flicker... I tried and new rely and same result. Does anybody have an idea on how to fix this?????

CatMan879 11-25-2012 03:48 PM

Well I figured out my issue I extended the harness from the bulb to the ballast, I cut open the heat shrink and noticed some corrosion so I soldered it and everything is working now thanks for the help guys.