Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Export Grand Cherokee 2011+ (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f190/)
-   -   20" Tyre Thread (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f190/20-tyre-thread-50571.html)

ENFORCER 11-21-2012 03:59 AM

20" Tyre Thread
 
Just when I thought my Khumo (korean for crap) were going to last more than 20,000km, it appears they will need replacement in the next few weeks.

I am hoping that we can get some ideas on what we can get locally and imported for our cars. This thread is only for the 20" tires, as the 18" have more selection.

Can people who have non OEM tires report they success/failures on replacement tires for our cars.

I am after road tires, not offroad, but this thread is for all types.

Mendo 11-21-2012 04:52 AM

Re: 20" Tyre Thread
 
TYRES: Goodyear rolls out quiet SUV tyre - Car Reviews, News & Advice - Carsales Mobile

These goodyears sound good and sounds like they'll come in 20's. Not sure about price. Don't imagine theyll be cheap!

BlackLimited 11-24-2012 03:53 PM

Re: 20" Tyre Thread
 
2 Attachment(s)
I have had the 275/55/20 Coopers Zeon LTZ for a few weeks now.

Being a larger tire with bigger lugs I was prepared for the road noise but surprisingly it is not noticeable with the radio on. Being a heavier tire it also changed the feel of the steering but that went away after a few days.

I have quadra-lift and have had no issue with rubbing. I had been watching the American cousin's on 20" tire choice and this seemed to fit the bill here in Aus with the limited choices.

Off road they are leap and bounds over the kumho's and they seemed ready for replacement after only 8 months of use.

Below images do it no justice when seen in the flesh. Word of warning, they are over a inch greater in diameter then the originals so the speedo is out but I haven't been concerned on working that out yet.

Hoguie7 11-24-2012 06:50 PM

Re: 20" Tyre Thread
 
Well, I am not in need of replacing tires, but when the time comes, I am considering Yokohama Parada Spec X. I've always used them (three sets so far) on my Ram 1500 4x2 with 20" wheels. They are awesome. Not noisy, grabs like glue when cornering, has an excellent tread wear, and above all, they lasted about 45k miles on daily commuting conditions, stop and go traffic (25min) and hi-speed highway (50min) each day both ways. On my Ram I used 305-50R20, but given the size, I cannot use those on my WK2. I am considering to keep the front size (265-50R20) but making it beefier on the rears (295-45R20) kinda like a BMW x5 look. I only have 4,659 miles on my WK2, so I think this will have to wait. Anyway, if you want a good, nice, and price-worthy set of tires, give Yoko a look! You won't regret it!

myke75 11-24-2012 10:00 PM

Re: 20" Tyre Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackLimited (Post 714856)
I have had the 275/55/20 Coopers Zeon LTZ for a few weeks now.

Being a larger tire with bigger lugs I was prepared for the road noise but surprisingly it is not noticeable with the radio on. Being a heavier tire it also changed the feel of the steering but that went away after a few days.

I have quadra-lift and have had no issue with rubbing. I had been watching the American cousin's on 20" tire choice and this seemed to fit the bill here in Aus with the limited choices.

Off road they are leap and bounds over the kumho's and they seemed ready for replacement after only 8 months of use.

Below images do it no justice when seen in the flesh. Word of warning, they are over a inch greater in diameter then the originals so the speedo is out but I haven't been concerned on working that out yet.

Is that no rubbing at all height settings?

Using this site Car Bibles : The tyre calculators at 70mph you'd actually be doing 73. A 4.85% increase in diameter.

Has anyone taken the standard Khumos off road? I'm wanting to head up to Craigs Hut. The road (clear hills track) is supposed to be easy. Hopefully beginners easy.

adamt 11-24-2012 11:04 PM

Re: 20" Tyre Thread
 
2 Attachment(s)
Hi Myke75,

We went to Craigs hut yesterday, we took the wifes Wrangler as I wasn't confident the Khumos on the GC would get us there. However getting to Craigs hut on the circuit road you would not have a problem, in fact we headed back on monument track which is very rocky and steep, guess what we met coming the other direction ? a new GC with street tyres doing it easily. I must admit I was very impressed.

Anyway it is a great trip with fantastic views, make sure you visit the bindaree falls, it is also a good drive up to Buller during summer.

Cheers

Matty470 11-24-2012 11:50 PM

Re: 20" Tyre Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by adamt (Post 714970)
Hi Myke75,

We went to Craigs hut yesterday, we took the wifes Wrangler as I wasn't confident the Khumos on the GC would get us there. However getting to Craigs hut on the circuit road you would not have a problem, in fact we headed back on monument track which is very rocky and steep, guess what we met coming the other direction ? a new GC with street tyres doing it easily. I must admit I was very impressed.

Anyway it is a great trip with fantastic views, make sure you visit the bindaree falls, it is also a good drive up to Buller during summer.

Cheers

Ha.......that was me!!!

adamt 11-24-2012 11:54 PM

Re: 20" Tyre Thread
 
If that was you Matty I tip my hat :cool:

Cheers

Matty470 11-25-2012 12:04 AM

Re: 20" Tyre Thread
 
Yes mate .....it was me.
There was a group of 10 of us heading up Monument track and we all got the call that you had pulled over to let us up. Waved to your wife as we passed each other.

You were in the red Wrangler in your pic right?
Watched the wedding for a couple of minutes before heading down the easy way.

jefferson.oz 11-25-2012 12:57 AM

Re: 20" Tyre Thread
 
The Cooper LTZ's rolling diameter seems to tidy up the speedo reading a little ahead of things.... Mine now is spot on, even confirmed it with police radar.... $390 speedo check.... DOH!

BlackLimited 11-25-2012 01:18 AM

Re: 20" Tyre Thread
 
3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by myke75 (Post 714953)
Is that no rubbing at all height settings?

Using this site Car Bibles : The tyre calculators at 70mph you'd actually be doing 73. A 4.85% increase in diameter.

Has anyone taken the standard Khumos off road? I'm wanting to head up to Craigs Hut. The road (clear hills track) is supposed to be easy. Hopefully beginners easy.


No rubbing at all height settings in any terrain including shopping speed bumps in carparks.

I have done some serious off-road tracks north of Sydney with the kuhmo's but my last trip destroyed them. I had some main tread missing on all tires. The photo below was the beginning of a track into a valley I visited and it was a bit hairy on the way down and up.

The minister of war and finance wasn't happy with the go fast striping, door ding, marking the alloys and the need for new tires. Boys will be boys...:D

jefferson.oz 11-25-2012 01:37 AM

Re: 20" Tyre Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by myke75 (Post 714953)
Is that no rubbing at all height settings?

Using this site Car Bibles : The tyre calculators at 70mph you'd actually be doing 73. A 4.85% increase in diameter.

Has anyone taken the standard Khumos off road? I'm wanting to head up to Craigs Hut. The road (clear hills track) is supposed to be easy. Hopefully beginners easy.

Kumho's off road are average, useless on muddy hills, even if it isn't very steep.... Even on fire roads its a good idea to have some plugs and a compressor handy as sharp stones tended to go straight through mine pretty easily.... Bummer if one goes through the sidewall though....


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:14 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community