Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f162/)
-   -   Rear DVD Video going off and on (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f162/rear-dvd-video-going-off-and-on-50625.html)

nosmoke 11-22-2012 05:44 PM

Rear DVD Video going off and on

When I use the Rear DVD unit, the sound works great, but the video just shuts off and turns back on randomly while driving. The daughters say "Dad, it's on. Dad, it's off, etc.". It's so frustrating for a new car. I'm thinking there must be a loose connection somewhere. Are there any wires I can get to easily and just make sure they're connected tightly? Otherwise, it's a trip to the dealer that I don't really have time for. Thanks for any ideas.

By the way, the monitor isn't going all the way off (I can see some some of the system menu info on there if I use the DVD remote, just no actual movie).

nosmoke 11-23-2012 01:32 PM

Re: Rear DVD Video going off and on

Quick update: Ended up taking it to the dealer. The technician was very helpful/friendly, and quickly checked the connections in both the overhead unit and the radio, and all seemed tight. The movie still kept going on and off during the visit. He is going to contact Chrysler to see whether he should order a new radio or not (the overhead unit shows "Jeep" when it is turned on and shows the chapter info, so he's thinking it's most likely the radio unit). Or worst case, there is a loose wire somewhere between the radio and the overhead unit, which means the car has to be torn apart (seats, etc), to get access to all of the wiring.....a long job.

nosmoke 11-23-2012 02:19 PM

OK...Chrysler told them to order a new overhead unit first. It's cheaper to start there, I guess.

nosmoke 12-10-2012 05:55 PM

More updates: Soooooo. Replacing the overhead unit last week didn't work. Within 20 minutes, it started going on and off again. Today, they got a new radio unit in there. Seemed to work OK, until tonight on the way to my kids swimming lessons. Now it's flickering and blurry at times. Too late to call the dealer tonight. I'm thinking a loose wire (it can't be anything else, since the radio and over head unit have now been replaced????? Of course, finding a loose wire means ripping apart the car. I was at the dealership for 2 more hours today. I feel terribly for the technician, who has been more than patient. Not looking forward to the next step.

nosmoke 12-21-2012 09:32 PM

OMG. They put another overhead unit in today because they said the original overhead unit was OK but the new one was now malfunctioning. Of course, this didn't work either. Chrysler has the dealer going in circles. Now they're ordering an entire new wire harness because you can't replace just the video wire evidently. The interior roof liner has to be taken out, etc etc. Merry Christmas to me. This is ridiculous.

nosmoke 01-07-2013 11:56 PM

The wire harness is superglued to the headliner, so they have to order the entire thing as one part.

Hacksaw 01-08-2013 12:18 AM

Wow ! Makes me want to stick with headrest mounted screens...

Think Outside !- No Box Required.

nosmoke 01-14-2013 02:26 PM

OK....new headliner and wire harness installed. This HAS to work because they replaced every single gosh-darned piece possible. Only took me 6 trips to the dealer. My kids will tell me if its fixed or not.

And then I just saw the 2014's have the blu-rays in the seatbacks. Oh well. I don't mind the overhead other than how it blocks my rear view vision somewhat (i was surprised they approved it blocking so much of the mirror).