Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Export Grand Cherokee 2011+ (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f190/)
-   -   Tail Light Assembly (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f190/tail-light-assembly-50669.html)

exlr8 11-23-2012 07:46 PM

Tail Light Assembly
 
Can anyone confirm that the US spec tail light assembly is identical to the Australian spec? I assume it is however I really don't want to bring something over and find it is different. Just need to be 100% sure.
I can source one via Just for Jeeps for around $215 delivered vs $395 locally.

Yes, some tool smashed the corner tail light assembly in the shopping centre carpark (no other damage). Obviously they didn't leave a note so we are left with the bill.. :mad:

Any help would be appreciated! :)

Studgun 11-23-2012 08:07 PM

Nope. Their taillight doubles as an indicator (red flashes brighter) and where our indicator is they have another reverse light.

If you email Peter he can probably get you an export one for cheap.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fix69er 11-24-2012 12:06 AM

Re: Tail Light Assembly
 
if you know the exact export tail light part # you can type it in here and get the cost Factory Mopar Parts

exlr8 11-24-2012 12:18 AM

Re: Tail Light Assembly
 
Thanks for that guys! Now to just find the part number.... anyone?

GlennR 11-24-2012 06:00 PM

Re: Tail Light Assembly
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by exlr8 (Post 714723)
Thanks for that guys! Now to just find the part number.... anyone?

Maybe have a look at the back of the assembly (part that touches car). It should be embossed into the back plastic moulding.

Sege 11-24-2012 08:06 PM

Re: Tail Light Assembly
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Studgun (Post 714686)
Nope. Their taillight doubles as an indicator (red flashes brighter) and where our indicator is they have another reverse light.

If you email Peter he can probably get you an export one for cheap.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Yes we are very "special" here in Aus. And we wonder why our cars are more expensive!!!!:slapfight:

bill_de 11-24-2012 08:11 PM

Re: Tail Light Assembly
 
No junk yards over there? I would think at least a couple of folks totaled there 13's by now.

Sege 11-24-2012 08:39 PM

Re: Tail Light Assembly
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by bill_de (Post 714925)
No junk yards over there? I would think at least a couple of folks totaled there 13's by now.


They cost nearly as much as new ones now days and often more than internet new!:D

savvas 11-25-2012 11:52 PM

Re: Tail Light Assembly
 
According to the wk2 parts list on wk2jeeps.com, the export lamp assembly for post 25 October 2010 build, is 55079414AE (right) and 55079415AE (left).

$111.51 US at Factory Mopar Parts, plus shipping.

Disclaimer - make sure you are happy this is right

http://www.wk2jeeps.com/manuals/2011_wk_parts.pdf

exlr8 11-25-2012 11:57 PM

Re: Tail Light Assembly
 
Wreckers are an option if I could actually track one down.
I thought I would get a second price on the part locally and was quoted $421 with a 4-6 week wait because it is "ex USA" :rolllol: I can source parts through Mopar in around a week or two for a lot lot less. I am just waiting on a reply re the export assembly. Are we sure the assembly is actually different or is it generic with multiple fitments for US and export? I have emailed Mopar Parts and Just for Jeeps, I will see what they reply.

Studgun 11-26-2012 12:24 AM

I'm sure if your bulbs and connectors are still good you could just twist them out of your current one and twist them into a US taillight. The wiring and bulbs is all that would be different, the lense and assembly is the same.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

exlr8 11-26-2012 12:36 AM

Re: Tail Light Assembly
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Studgun (Post 715324)
I'm sure if your bulbs and connectors are still good you could just twist them out of your current one and twist them into a US taillight. The wiring and bulbs is all that would be different, the lense and assembly is the same.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is just a hole in the lens (like some tool stuck a broom stick through it), the bulbs, connections, etc are OK. I just wasn't sure when mentioned that the US spec it may not have the orange indicator lens inside it... hmmm. Mopar Parts are US$167 delivered, a bit better than the ridiculous $420 with a 4-6 week wait. That is pretty poor by CJD Aust to be truthful.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:48 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community