Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Interior/Exterior/Visual (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f176/)
-   -   Power Folding Mirrors? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f176/power-folding-mirrors-50691.html)

SeaRay 11-24-2012 12:14 PM

Power Folding Mirrors?

Is it possible to put the 2013 power folding mirrors on a 2011 overland? And where can I buy the kit if there is one...?

JRoll1ns 12-03-2012 04:49 PM

Re: Power Folding Mirrors?

I believe the export models had them for 11,12 so I would think that in theory they would work. Usually (not always) vehicles are wired for all options domestic and foreign so that the cost is kept down on production.

Raptor 12-08-2012 06:18 PM

You would need to get a door panel switch from a 2013 Summit and power folding mirrors from a 2013 Summit as well.

Would be expensive for the 2013 power folding mirrors but it can be done.

I'll post part #'s when I get them!

bill_de 12-08-2012 06:42 PM

Years ago when everything was done with pen to paper you could order just about any option you wanted. It was often cheaper to buy it as part of a package or level upgrade, but not necessary.

Now, with computers monitoring the orders and production, why do the manufacturers resist giving the customer more choice? Is it just marketing, or is there more to it?

Raptor 12-18-2012 04:33 PM

Ok I have some part #'s;

Production code {GU6} Power Folding Mutifunction Mirrors

Rt. Mopar part # 68191984AA MSRP $737.00 Dealer Cost $442.00

Lt. Mopar part # 68191985AA MSRP $694.00 Dealer Cost $416.00

The multifunction door panel switch is not in the Mopar parts catalog yet.
Also not sure if you have to flash the bus thru the OBD2 port to make it all work after the parts are installed?

FAUEE 12-18-2012 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bill_de (Post 721748)
Years ago when everything was done with pen to paper you could order just about any option you wanted. It was often cheaper to buy it as part of a package or level upgrade, but not necessary.

Now, with computers monitoring the orders and production, why do the manufacturers resist giving the customer more choice? Is it just marketing, or is there more to it?

Less choices = simpler manufacturing. They build WAY more cars nowdays than they did back then, and it'd be damn near impossible to offer the ability to do inexpensive 1 off cars. Especially on high volume selling cars.

Plus, the dealers want people to buy off their lots. Less choices means you're more likely to find what you'd configure yourself on their lot, or at least nearby so they can get it.

Add in the fact that any manufacturing operation worth its salt nowdays is running just in time supplies, the logistics of one off cars is mind boggling.

As far as why the US didn't get the mirrors at first, I have no defense for it. My guess is it was something they held back to make "upgrades" during the life cycle, like a myriad of the things that the '14 is going to offer. Just stuff to get some people to come back and give them more money for another new vehicle.

thekoy 01-22-2013 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raptor (Post 726198)
The multifunction door panel switch is not in the Mopar parts catalog yet.

Found the switch HERE

Looks to be part nunber 68030826AB

MSRP $ 104.00
List Price $ 86.94

Raptor 01-22-2013 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thekoy (Post 745603)
Found the switch HERE

Looks to be part nunber 68030826AB

MSRP $ 104.00
List Price $ 86.94

That may not the correct part #. You found a listing for a drivers side mutifunction switch for a 2011~2012 WK2 that is either {GU5} manual folding, or {GYC} power folding. Only export WK2's in the 2011~2012 model years listed had the {GYC} power folding feature. The North American builds did not, so I'm a little confused as to what switch that part # is actually for??

What we need is the part # for a 2013 Summit or an export model 2011~2012 WK2 that we can confirm had the power folding mirror option. As of today that mutifunction switch part # is still not in the OEM North American Mopar parts catalog!

thekoy 01-23-2013 07:08 AM

Ah, thanks. When I read the description and it said, for "Power Folding Multi-Function Mirrors" I figured that was it. My bad.

Raptor 01-23-2013 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thekoy (Post 745973)
Ah, thanks. When I read the description and it said, for "Power Folding Multi-Function Mirrors" I figured that was it. My bad.

You may be correct ~ The problem appears to be that Mopar lists both switches together with {GU5} manual folding or {GYC} power folding under the same part number??
Both are described as power folding, but one folds manually & the other power folds!

I have determined that the mutifunction switch that all 2011~2012 North American factory builds came from the factory floor with is;
Mopar part# 68030823AC
This switch is a manual folding power mirror multifunction switch {GU5}...... and not the {GYC} switch we are looking for!

thekoy 01-25-2013 09:41 AM

Found this last night...
Jeep Grand Cherokee 2011 OEM Window Master Control Switch (Folding Mirrors) : Amazon.com : Automotive

I am contacting the seller to see if it is legit. Nice thing about going through Amazon is that they will take almost anything back.

Raptor 01-25-2013 09:46 AM

Yes that is the right switch! Nice find! :thumbsup:

Doesn't list a legit Mopar part number but definately is the right one based on the pic.