Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/)
-   -   Has anyone converted a 2wd Grand to a 4WD (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/has-anyone-converted-a-2wd-grand-to-a-4wd-5078.html)

bmflyfish 12-29-2009 01:00 PM

Has anyone converted a 2wd Grand to a 4WD

My wife fell in love a few years ago with a 03 WJ with the 4.0 liter motor, 42 Re transmission. Even though it was a 2wd (regrets it now) we bought it and she used it for about a year as her DD. Well now its my DD and I really miss having 4wd and I want to convert it to a 4wd. I have seen the conversion from Quadra Drive to the 242, but is the process basically the same, or should I just start looking for a 4wd Grand?

I know I will need:
242hd transfer case
transfer case shift lever
drive shafts
front differential with same gearing as rear
additional crossmembers(?)
skid plate
additional wiring(?)

What am I missing?

Thanks Brian

White WK Swagga 12-29-2009 03:40 PM

Re: Has anyone converted a 2wd Grand to a 4WD

Good question. I can tell you right now I'd be lying if I said anything about that mod. LOL

00wj 12-29-2009 03:44 PM

good question ive been wondering about this

hopefully someone can answer

NHWK05 12-29-2009 05:06 PM

it can be done. I have seen it done on other jeeps. You need to replace the front beam style axle assembly with a front 4x4 axle with the same gears as stated, most likely 3:73.

You will need the corresponding front drive shaft, Cross member and the Transfer case and rear drive shaft from the vehicle. make sure that all parts come from a 242 t case WJ and not a quadradrive wj b/c lengths and sizes might be different.

You will also need the t case and all the linkages and brackets as well as interior dash parts and shifter that go with it.

The hardest part will be making sure that the t case will bolt to your transmission and that the out put splines of the tranny match the input of the t case.

It will be alot of work and it might be easier to sell and re buy unless you can get parts super cheap.

Joe in PA 12-29-2009 05:25 PM

Can it be done? Sure. Is it going to be easy? Nope. Should you just sell the 4x2 and buy a 4x4? In the long run that might be the easiest and cheaper thing to do unless you are willing to invest a lot of time researching and learning how to do it yourself. ;)

Scottina06 12-29-2009 05:44 PM

easist way would be a donor jeep......maybe a totalled 4x4 wj. Should be easy to find

hemi.jon 12-29-2009 05:59 PM

you will also need to either swap the trans or replace the tail end. ive done this. its not too hard but like scott said the best way will be a donor 4x4 thats been totaled.

or go to a junk yard and find a trans and T case combo, pick up a front axle, then to get some d-shafts.

its not bad. or sell it and find a 4x4..lol

bmflyfish 12-30-2009 10:28 AM

I agree with you all that finding a donor vehicle would be the best. But a donor vehicle and the junk yard searches around the Birmingham, Al area has very slim pickens for the 99-04 Grand Cherokee years (actually none). I know Dodge Durangos used the same 242 transfer cases along with same 42re transmission. But that still leaves me without driveshafts or a front end. But driveshafts can be made usually for a decent price.

The search begins! I will keep you posted.

Thanks Brian

hemi.jon 12-30-2009 07:25 PM

front axle shouldnt be hard to find, it should be a Dana 30, i believe the mounts on the axle might even be the same as the wranglers for coil suspensions. just make sure to get a matching gear ratio to your rear.

dhillon09 12-30-2009 09:17 PM

Don't do it. The general consensus is it's cheaper and smarter to just sell your current WJ and trade up.

Sodelcustoms 12-30-2009 09:26 PM

Have done it with a doner but I replaced EVERYTHING! I went from a full time 4x4 to select track. I wanted to be able to switch from 4 wheel to 2 wheel when I was on the highway and hopefully save some gas mileage. I replaced transfer case and differentials. Not sure if you would have to change the back though I doubt it. I did just because I wanted to update my parts.

bmflyfish 01-08-2010 05:05 PM

Some oppportunities have been presented to me, so this project for right now will have to be put on hold.