Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   Do you think car tech is going to far? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/do-you-think-car-tech-is-going-to-far-50992.html)

Onroad 11-30-2012 08:44 PM

Do you think car tech is going to far?

Don't get me wrong I like the comfort amenities but making ref to tech while driving like making the choice when to use 4X4 , bright lights, blind spot warning ,Adaptive cruise control ect. Tech that takes control/false sense security r: increases the cost of a vehicle and kills your wallet when repairs are needed.

I would like to see more focus on better engine performance/mpg.

jgc4ever 11-30-2012 09:22 PM

Re: Do you think car tech is going to far?

I don't care about tech. I buy based on looks, and perceived cool factor.

padgett 11-30-2012 11:48 PM

This is childs play compared to setting up an SSL web server. The only difficulty is that CJF considers how the GC is built to be proprietary and not for owners.

Just wait until they put everything on the Powernet. Its getting like Apple with full documentation only for chosen ones.

For eample I have a PID that responds with a two byte data field. It tells me something about the engine but do not know what. All I can do is monitor under a wide set of conditions and see what it matchs. Somewhere in CJF there is a list of PIDs and parameters and it is built into profe$$ional scan tools.

If I ever retire, I'll have time to reverse engineer it. Right now it is just annoying.

Onroad 12-01-2012 06:36 PM

I agree, car manufactures have been pushing out the do it yourself car repairs for years.

If you buy a car then one should have the accessibility to the data base when trouble shooting a malfunction. Forcing owners to have any and all repairs done at the outrageous prices the dealers charge is just plain wrong!

JeepGuy026 12-01-2012 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Onroad (Post 718327)
I agree, car manufactures have been pushing out the do it yourself car repairs for years.

If you buy a car then one should have the accessibility to the data base when trouble shooting a malfunction. Forcing owners to have any and all repairs done at the outrageous prices the dealers charge is just plain wrong!

+1

padgett 12-02-2012 11:05 PM

"blem wit" database access is that Jeeps tend to be in places with no access when they fail. Has anyone used AllData ? They claim to have information for the 2011 GC.

Onroad 12-03-2012 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by padgett (Post 718939)
"blem wit" database access is that Jeeps tend to be in places with no access when they fail. Has anyone used AllData ? They claim to have information for the 2011 GC.

You appear to be a knowledgeable person.
I was only expressing my frustration about tech accessories I really don't care about that come bundled with tech accessories I like. Furthermore I agreed with your condensing "child play" comment about car manufactures being Proprietary.

I don,t understand, why you are attacking me!

armoredsaint 12-04-2012 11:05 AM

here's your next car OP

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-KGhxacA_p1...rd-model-t.jpg

DAVY27 12-04-2012 11:35 AM

i love the new tech and all but some like ACC and auto assist brakes im not a big fan off. I like to have full control of the car. What's worse is that auto parallel park!!

moosehead 12-04-2012 01:54 PM

While I've been pleasantly surprised by the new creature comforts even in a workhorse vehicle, I get the OP's point. This feels like an arms race that is endless, weighing the vehicle down quite a bit and perhaps intruding on driver input vs. computer. I also get the disappointment in not being able to DIY as easily, along with the sticker shock at purchase and at the service bay.

The bare bones stripper models of the muscle car era come to mind. Higher performance, speed, and lighter weight were priorities on those configurations.

denis4x4 12-04-2012 05:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
When I get tired of the high tech crap, I jump in my lo tech Thunderbird. I have several old cars that I work on and quite frankly, I could care less about doing anything on the GC other than driving it.

Archer9 12-04-2012 08:58 PM

There seems to be no major area left for Jeep to lead, so they have to compete on gadgets. Can't really blame the company for that, that's what many folks want...just read this forum you'll see lots of people love their ACC, auto lights, butt warmers etc. I remember when Jeep led the way by making a four door XJ with shift on the fly. Now that was something new when it came out. But the market has completely caught up, and so gadgets are where it's at today. At least the chassis is still built like a tank and the drivetrain is strong. Most of the gadgets, if and when they fail out of warranty, you can probably just continue on without them.