Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Suspension/Driveline/Brakes/Wheels/Tires (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f109/)
-   -   Quadra-lift bottoming (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f109/quadra-lift-bottoming-50999.html)

BobT 12-01-2012 06:01 AM

Quadra-lift bottoming

I find that the quadra-lift suspension bottoms out way to easily. By bottoming, I mean the suspension is fully extended. Going down even a small rock step at 10-20kph I get a hard clunk from both front and rear wheels. Going up the same step is no problem. The shock absorbers take it easily but going down it is almost as if they are single acting shocks. It doesn't matter much what height I have the quadra-lift set at. It gets quite annoying on rocky bush tracks. Of more concern is if this is doing damage. Is anyone else having the same issue?

ColdCase 12-01-2012 09:05 AM

Re: Quadra-lift bottoming

Lots of discussion here of the limited suspension rebound on ORA modes. The Suspension is extended for ORA and there is not much rebound room left. What you are feeling are the wheels lifting off the ground. Annoying but it doesn't hurt anything.

BobT 12-02-2012 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ColdCase (Post 718118)
Lots of discussion here of the limited suspension rebound on ORA modes. The Suspension is extended for ORA and there is not much rebound room left. What you are feeling are the wheels lifting off the ground. Annoying but it doesn't hurt anything.

Is this something we will just have to live with or do you see the suspension travel being able to be improved with suspension mods such as longer shocks etc?

ColdCase 12-04-2012 08:59 AM

You will have to live with it, or find a vehicle with more articulation.

BobT 12-05-2012 01:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ColdCase (Post 719530)
You will have to live with it, or find a vehicle with more articulation.

Thanks... I think. I'm sure you are right. I'm also sure that in time someone will come up with a suspension mod albeit at the expense of chewing out the CV joints or some such thing.

Dollar 12-05-2012 04:15 AM

Yes, I also experienced this and posted about it. I think in my road trip thread. And I also found it extremely annoying. It's quite a loud "thunk" and unnerving.

Sent from a pay phone.

LyleSorenson 10-09-2015 03:54 AM

This is an issue that Jeep is aware of but in denial about. They say it is "normal" because "they all do it"...I prefer to call a defect like this a RECALL...If enough owners follow through and complain they will have to respond...Had they disclosed this known issue I would NEVER have purchased a vehicle with QUADRA LIFT...This should be an embarrassment to Jeep, yet they continue to brag about how great it is...the very concept of a feature that provides more ground clearance and less suspension travel is flawed beyond logic. Obviously thought up by an engineer who lives in the city...

Zhe Wiz 10-09-2015 06:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LyleSorenson (Post 1227335)
This is an issue that Jeep is aware of but in denial about. They say it is "normal" because "they all do it"...I prefer to call a defect like this a RECALL...If enough owners follow through and complain they will have to respond...Had they disclosed this known issue I would NEVER have purchased a vehicle with QUADRA LIFT...This should be an embarrassment to Jeep, yet they continue to brag about how great it is...the very concept of a feature that provides more ground clearance and less suspension travel is flawed beyond logic. Obviously thought up by an engineer who lives in the city...

Really? Wow, can't please some people. You want ground clearance, they gave it to you. BY DEFINITION that requires less suspension travel when at highest or lowest setting. It comes with compromises. OR 2 isn't for impressing your friends cruising down the road, it's for getting over objects you normally wouldn't be able to. Who cares if it "thunks" as long as you get over that 11" obstacle?

I really don't see an issue here. I won't be complaining, I love it. The solution you're likely to get by complaining is less ground clearance. Enjoy!

bill_de 10-09-2015 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LyleSorenson (Post 1227335)

And it must have been the same for a while, since the post you responded to is from 2012.

Actually, on the 2014 I only noticed the issue in ORII. At NRH and ORI everything seemed OK.

---

Jim_in_PA 10-09-2015 04:59 PM

While there's no need to "like" how this works, it absolutely is "normal" because there's almost no suspension travel left at OR-II. It's an "only use it if you need it" setting that's also speed limited as you know based on posts you have made. This is true for MY11 through current.

SRTgirl 10-09-2015 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bill_de (Post 1227355)
And it must have been the same for a while, since the post you responded to is from 2012.

Exactly! It's amazing how quickly people run to the forums to whine when they don't like something, yet they don't bother to do their research before buying. :sleepy: