Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Engine Performance/Intake/Exhaust (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f183/)
-   -   Jeep grand cherokee srt8 srt 6.1l hemi exhaust manifolds (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f183/jeep-grand-cherokee-srt8-srt-6-1l-hemi-exhaust-manifolds-51010.html)

Combat 12-01-2012 12:19 PM

Jeep grand cherokee srt8 srt 6.1l hemi exhaust manifolds

My buddy is selling 6.1l hemi exhaust manifolds from his Jeep srt8, should I buy them, will they fit my 5.7, and most importantly are they worth the time to install them?

Please enlighten me..

Thanks

05HEMI 12-03-2012 12:58 PM

Re: Jeep grand cherokee srt8 srt 6.1l hemi exhaust manifolds

Ya they are worth it. I noticed a big difference when i installed mine, it was a big job though. There are a couple of thread'sout there on how to do it. And if i had to do it again i would just pulled the heads off and remove the old manifolds like that and so much easier to put the srt one one and you can torque them properly.

*sox* 12-03-2012 03:15 PM

what are with the 5.7 mide pipes, fitt this on the srt exhaust manifold??

08Hemi 02-11-2013 12:48 PM

any update on this? I am thinking of doing the same thing...

Blizzboy283 02-13-2013 08:37 PM

I already have srt8 manifolds waiting to be put on. I've read some of the threads but I'm unsure about the midpipe situation.

jeepgcoman 02-13-2013 08:44 PM

You'll have to get the 6.1 midpipe or have the 5.7 modified to fit the 6.1 manifolds.

Blizzboy283 02-13-2013 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeepgcoman (Post 759644)
You'll have to get the 6.1 midpipe or have the 5.7 modified to fit the 6.1 manifolds.

That seems to be the one area that people don't talk about. 6.1 mid pipes seem to be non existent. How big of a mod are we talking about to the stock mid pipe?

DannyVtCa 02-14-2013 01:42 AM

Took me a month to find mid pipes. I put them on and fiddle for hours. Best I could do was get 1/10 of an inch clearance with tranny pan and had to use tons of washers to drop the cross member for the tranny. Drove around for a week with the entire srt8 exhaust on, but didn't feel comfortable with having the cross member bolts being held on by just a few threads. To do the job right you have to replace all 8 bolts with longer ones... They are frickin hard to find and super special order metric... Very long. Fastenal doesn't have them. My advice is call magnaflow directly and beg them for the flanges, they build srt8 mid pipes and make the flanges. I am going to eventually chop the mid pipes up and fabricate a set a 2.75'' or 3'' mids with the cats.

DannyVtCa 02-14-2013 01:53 AM

You have to shorten the stock pipes and add the flanges. I was utterly confused because the stock mid pipe is dual walled and I couldnt figure out how to weld to the inner tube which obviously carries the flow. You might need to plasma cut the piping out of the inlet of the cats and then refabricate the bends up to srt8 manifolds. I have seen guys open their cats up to 3'' in rhe ram forum. If the pipes were bolted to the exhaust with the hanger on the tranny connected, you could tack weld it easy and then take it all down and weld it fully. I believe the stock mid pipes are 2.25 diameter for the internal pipes and around 2.5'' for external. So welding 2.5'' pipe is probably the way to go. You will need a couple reducers, I used 3-2.5'' and got them from stainless works. The flanges are bigger and this reducer is essential mating them to 2.5'' piping.

DannyVtCa 02-14-2013 12:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a pic

DannyVtCa 02-14-2013 12:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Tranny cut

DannyVtCa 02-14-2013 12:44 PM

One more thing, the threads on the collectors on most used srt8 manifolds completely suck. I have had a hell of a time getting bolts in and out of them. One completely froze and I had to drill it out, another the threads are almost cooked and I fear the next time I take the pipes off. When I got mine in the mail the previous owner had cut the head one of the bolts to remove the mids. I have seen many for sale where all four bolts are still stuck in the collectors with their heads chopped off. It would be prudent to tap these holes a bit larger and convert them to a SAE size while not attach to the jeep. That way you are starting with fresh threads. Try threading a bolt into them and see how it goes, if its hard then imagine after a few years how much harder it will be.