Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Tech Tips/DIY/How To (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f156/)
-   -   Volt HID Kit Relay "Humm" and flicker (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f156/volt-hid-kit-relay-humm-and-flicker-51071.html)

Bruno122 12-02-2012 11:20 PM

Volt HID Kit Relay "Humm" and flicker

Hi Everyone...

Forgive me if this is a duplicate post....

I installed a Volt HID Headlamp kit with the CANBUS as well as the relays into my 2011 Jeep GC. They look great but the relays "humm" like crazy too the point where I can hear it in the cab as well. Has anyone had this issue or know how to fix it?

Appreciate the help in advance

~Mike

Madanio24 12-03-2012 12:10 AM

Re: Volt HID Kit Relay "Humm" and flicker

U mean the ballasts hum? A relay just clicks.

Bruno122 12-03-2012 12:27 AM

no its coming from the Relay... When I touch the relay its vibrating its humming so loud. Ive installed a handful of lights in my day.... never had this one before

Scottina06 12-03-2012 12:41 AM

do you have the canbus harness backwards or is the polarity reversed?

Bruno122 12-03-2012 12:50 AM

Good question.... I positive the polarity is correct... Ill have to check Canbus though.... Thank you Scott... that's at least a start

Bruno122 12-03-2012 10:22 PM

Checked the polarity and the harnesses to make sure all was properly connected. All was fine. I moved the relay so it wasn't rubbing against the body and that took care of the cabin noise but I'm still getting flicker in the headlamps. I sent an email to Xenondepot to get some feedback from them.

Scottina06 12-03-2012 11:59 PM

check your grounds...clean them and reinstall

bclemons 12-07-2012 04:40 PM

Just plug your HID's with the canbus cables into each headlight and bypass the relay harness. If you have daytime running lights they may be causing the humming and flicker. If you absolutly want to use the relay harness (which is not needed) plug your canbus harness between the passenger's car headlight plug and the receptical that goes to the harness. The canbus portion always goes from the cars headlight plug and then into whatever your connecting. Hope this makes sense. So, if you are plugging the passenger side headlight plug into the relay harness the canbus harness needs to go before you connect into the relay harness. That will take care of the relay buzzing and then you branch off of the relay harness into your passenger side headlight Hid box. On the drivers side go from the relay harness thru the canbus harness and into the Hid box.