Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

Quadra Trac 2 Clunking Sound

10K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  sparky60 
#1 ·
I have a 2012 Grand Cherokee Laredo with quadra trac 2 and from a dead stop when I hit the gas I hear a clunking sound and feel the clunk coming from what seems to be the rear end. I was told at the dealership there is some tension spring in the 4x4 system that is expanding on acceleration and there isn't a fix for the issue yet. (not rear suspension springs)

Has anyone else had this issue and am I being told the truth?

Please help and thanks in advance!

#4 ·
I have it too. Fortunately it's my wife's vehicle, as I wouldn't put up with it in my own a daily driver. I've had 4x4's since 1985 and never experienced it before this one. Jeep's response is that's it's normal and to live it - Disappointing...

#8 ·
Sounds like the "bowling ball in trunk" issue, not to be confused with the rattling of the self leveling shocks which is a different issue. Yeah, it is really annoying and my previous Ford, Toyota and Daihatsu 4WDs certainly didn't make that thump. But then this vehicle has so many other faults that most people don't notice this one...

#9 · (Edited)
Did any of those vehicles have an active 4WD system?

My Daihatsu made one big thump when the rear end fell out. Now that there was an issue :). Shortly after Dads Ford escaped warranty, the doors would lock and lights flash and windows go up and down every time he opened and closed the driver door. Sometime the horn would beep. There was always a flashing idiot light on the dash for no apparent reason. Seems like Ford bean counters wanted to save a penny on each car by cutting cables 1/4 inch short and they eventually broke. Besides having no power, my Toyota just rusted out foot through the floorboard and all. Those are pretty good issues.....

#12 ·
Ha ha, yeah nothing is perfect, at least not any car...

You might have a point about the driveline being different. Does anybody know of another brand of 4WD that DOES have the same kind of driveline. How about last generation ML?

Regarding the "bowling ball clunk" I will just quote myself from another tread:

"This time I had been granted a service tech for a ride upon arrival with the transmission at full operating temperature ca. 75 deg. C. The bump was easily reproduced many times in a row and the service tech was not surprised. He said that all V6 petrol models (they only come with QT2 in Australia) had this bump. V8 and diesel models doesn't have it. His opinion was that it had something to do with the rear differential. He then switched the Selec-Terrrain to Sand/Mud and the bump disappeared (normal ride height). He said that it bumps only in rear wheel drive mode and it is "normal" for this model."

My service tech called it rear wheel drive mode when in Auto/normal and driving straight out on tarmac (definitely no wheel spin or need for front wheel drive to engage) and I get a big thump. Does the center diff do anything in this situation?

From other posts it seems my tech was wrong about V8 and diesels not having the issue. I believe it is because transmission temp has to be up before you feel it, so it isn't detected on their normal cold test run.

There has been many suggestions in other treads to what makes this thump but so far I still don't know exactly where it comes from. One guy had a new transfer case put in but didn't report back after that. Only thing I am sure of is that it has nothing to do with suspension or brakes, it is in the driveline.

#13 · (Edited)
re rear clunk on take off .
My 2011 wk2 Diesel with quadra trac 2 now has 45000 ks and this bump or clunk has developed over the last two services it was reported at the 30k and again at the 40 the service techs told me their info was that the bump was comimg from the transfer case and it had something to do with the 4wd system in their terms binding up and then being released hapening more often on slippery surfaces and then driving onto a firmer surface or when cornering or when the tyres have uneven wear or pressures . My issue is when slowing down for traffic lights or other intersections and either coming to a stop or slowed to less than 5 k's and then accelerating away and it doesnt have to be harsh travel a few metres and then clunk . I have been told chrysler are aware of the problem and are working on a solution . Would appreciate feedback from anyone who has reported to their dealership and what response they have been given.
Thanks for your time,
Sparky60

#14 ·
Hi sparky60

My 2011 3.6 had the clunk from new and it hasn't really changed. I have complained about it at every service but the dealer doesn't have any solution. I also had the steering wheel clunk (TSB 19-004-11), which is now returning after it was successfully fixed with a new steering column shaft, plus other sounds and rattles which hasn't been fixed. I don't have the self leveling shocks which apparently also rattles a lot.

Your description of the clunk is good and I think the transfer case is the most likely cause. I believe we both have the MP3023 transfer case. Since you didn't have the clunk from new it does seem to be different from vehicle to vehicle though.

There is a STAR case S1121000013 about the 4wd system binding if there is a difference in rolling radius. My dealer referred to it and I have a paper copy. It is however not the cause of this bump/clunk which happens going straight out with no difference in rolling radius.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.