Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Wrangler-YJ, TJ & JK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f89/)
-   -   No VIN number For GPs (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f89/no-vin-number-for-gps-51100.html)

Jimmy C. 12-03-2012 05:06 PM

No VIN number For GPs

Hi All: I have a 2012 Wrangler with a 730n (RHR) media center. My problem started when I got the 2013 North American Navigation Map Update from Chrysler Jeep. I followed the directions that came with the upgrade but when I got to installing the Navigation upgrade I was asked for the activation key ( which I got by going to the website that came with the software packet.) But when I hit the OK soft key I got an error window stating wrong activation code number.
I tried a few more times carefully typing the activation code with no success . Sooooo I called the software manufacture, they told me to fire up my GPS, hit the menu hard key and then hit database info soft key, that brought me to the Current database version which is N 1108 4.2.1 The line below this IS THE PROBLEM, "Your vehicles VIN": is blank no vin number. It was supposed to be installed at the factory but no. This is why I get the wrong activation code number when I try to install the new map software.
Has anyone had or ever heard of this problem? Thanks for your time
Jimmy C.

SnoFire 12-03-2012 06:12 PM

Re: No VIN number For GPs

Welcome to JeepGarage. You would be best to look in the Wrangler-JK section of the Forums to see if anyone else has had this issue. Good Luck!

Milous 12-03-2012 06:25 PM

Are you the original owner of the Jeep, and was the radio factory installed? The radio should automatically read the vehicle VIN number.

Jimmy C. 12-04-2012 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Milous (Post 719283)
Are you the original owner of the Jeep, and was the radio factory installed? The radio should automatically read the vehicle VIN number.

I ordered the Jeep the way I wanted and it came from the factory with the 730n. The dealer I bought it from said they have never heard of this problem before but will start digging for an answer. Thanks for the reply

TechGuy 12-08-2012 09:21 AM

I also got the radio and map update discs for my 2012 GC with the 730N RHR media center and I have the same problem. The NAVTEQ software people (Malcolm) told me to check for the VIN and it was not there!! I was surprised when my dealer's service department knew nothing about the update mail out or the missing VIN in the radio. They also said that they would check and get back to me.

Not one to wait around, I called Jeep direct and they said that they NEVER heard of this issue until I called. (Yeah right!) They transferred me to their tech person, Stacy, who also knew nothing about this. (Not a surprise.) She promised to check and get back to me in 15 or 20 minutes. Unfortunately she never called back!! Not a great customer service.

Does anyone know how to enter the VIN into this radio?? I would love to just enter it and stop wasting time waiting to hear more excuses from those who should know but do not --- dealers and manufacturers.

Jimmy C. 12-08-2012 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TechGuy (Post 721517)
I also got the radio and map update discs for my 2012 GC with the 730N RHR media center and I have the same problem. The NAVTEQ software people (Malcolm) told me to check for the VIN and it was not there!! I was surprised when my dealer's service department knew nothing about the update mail out or the missing VIN in the radio. They also said that they would check and get back to me.

Not one to wait around, I called Jeep direct and they said that they NEVER heard of this issue until I called. (Yeah right!) They transferred me to their tech person, Stacy, who also knew nothing about this. (Not a surprise.) She promised to check and get back to me in 15 or 20 minutes. Unfortunately she never called back!! Not a great customer service.

Does anyone know how to enter the VIN into this radio?? I would love to just enter it and stop wasting time waiting to hear more excuses from those who should know but do not --- dealers and manufacturers.

I got my vin # to show by turning the ignition to the on position not on the accessory position, the second click. The radio update went fine with the ignition on accessory but try the whole update in the "ON" position. Let me know if this worked for you. Yes I got the software to properly install and its all about the ignition being in the ON/RUN position. Turn the ignition to the ON/RUN position go to your GPS hit the MENU hard key then database info soft key. Is your vin there? Jimmy C.

Mondis 12-10-2012 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimmy C. (Post 721830)
I got my vin # to show by turning the ignition to the on position not on the accessory position, the second click. The radio update went fine with the ignition on accessory but try the whole update in the "ON" position. Let me know if this worked for you. Yes I got the software to properly install and its all about the ignition being in the ON/RUN position. Turn the ignition to the ON/RUN position go to your GPS hit the MENU hard key then database info soft key. Is your vin there? Jimmy C.

Thank you guys so much for posting this! I just got the update and everything went smooth until I had to do the Nav database update. I found I had to turn the jeep on enter the key, and start the process then I could turn it of but leave it with the ignition activated since I have the push button ignition. It's all updated now! Stupid directions from the nav company where wrong!

TechGuy 12-10-2012 05:11 PM

Thank you Jimmy, it did work!! Why the NAVTEQ people did not know how to do this is a mystery. In any case, I am now updated -- thanks.