Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Interior/Exterior/Visual (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f176/)
-   -   Can You Get "REAL" Tinted Front/Side Windows? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f176/can-you-get-real-tinted-front-side-windows-51122.html)

ColoradoJeep 12-04-2012 10:28 AM

Can You Get "REAL" Tinted Front/Side Windows?
 
it is possible to get "real" front (driver and passenger side) tinted window glass for the GC to match the rest of the windows and glass? Not the dorky applied film that leaves the edges bare when you have the windows half rolled down?

SnoFire 12-04-2012 10:33 AM

Re: Can You Get "REAL" Tinted Front/Side Windows?
 
You can get the windows dipped if you don't like the film. I doubt you would be able to get factory windows that are tinted as there are too many laws about the front windows being tinted.

berk483 12-04-2012 10:38 AM

Re: Can You Get "REAL" Tinted Front/Side Windows?
 
I prefer the tint because it adds the UV ray blocking that the factory dipped windows do not have. Plus a good tint shop can normally get that film pretty close to the window edge where it wouldn't be as noticeable...atleast it's not where it would bother me.

armoredsaint 12-04-2012 10:38 AM

Re: Can You Get "REAL" Tinted Front/Side Windows?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ColoradoJeep (Post 719550)
it is possible to get "real" front (driver and passenger side) tinted window glass for the GC to match the rest of the windows and glass? Not the dorky applied film that leaves the edges bare when you have the windows half rolled down?

sounds like you need a better installer :lol:

moosehead 12-04-2012 10:53 AM

Re: Can You Get "REAL" Tinted Front/Side Windows?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by berk483 (Post 719556)
I prefer the tint because it adds the UV ray blocking that the factory dipped windows do not have. Plus a good tint shop can normally get that film pretty close to the window edge where it wouldn't be as noticeable...atleast it's not where it would bother me.

^This. I also had the rest of the windows filmed for UV reflective benefits. A good installer will get the film applied to window edge.

kkreit01 12-04-2012 11:10 AM

Re: Can You Get "REAL" Tinted Front/Side Windows?
 
You have not had your windows tinted in about 15 years? Tinting has come a long way in the past 20 years. It looks good day 1. Gone are the days of milk and bubbles for days. I'm quite sure mine are tinted to the top edge. If not, very close. The match is near perfect to factory rear (20%).

Fumanchu 12-04-2012 11:49 AM

Re: Can You Get "REAL" Tinted Front/Side Windows?
 
My tint shop uses a cutting plotter that cuts tint to the exact size to the window. Not sure if most shops are like that.

Not to mention the stock tint isn't dark enough anyways here in So Cal. I went 15% over the stock tint.

canis 12-04-2012 01:36 PM

Re: Can You Get "REAL" Tinted Front/Side Windows?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by berk483 (Post 719556)
I prefer the tint because it adds the UV ray blocking that the factory dipped windows do not have. Plus a good tint shop can normally get that film pretty close to the window edge where it wouldn't be as noticeable...atleast it's not where it would bother me.

Just to clarify, factory windows, dipped or not, have UV protection within the laminate. That's not to say adding film doesn't compound the protection. But auto glass does have UV protection.

berk483 12-04-2012 01:58 PM

Re: Can You Get "REAL" Tinted Front/Side Windows?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by canis (Post 719658)
Just to clarify, factory windows, dipped or not, have UV protection within the laminate. That's not to say adding film doesn't compound the protection. But auto glass does have UV protection.


Fair point. Especially as our front windows and windshields are laminate they do have added protection.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:31 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community