Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f185/)
-   -   Larger tire no lift; offset (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f185/larger-tire-no-lift-offset-51162.html)

hemi_shox 12-05-2012 12:31 AM

Larger tire no lift; offset

It time for new tires. I want to go larger but don't have a lift, yet. I want to run 265/65/17 on stock rims. Will this work with no issues other than needing to be re calibrated? Also, I'm planing on in stalling HD Bilsteins very soon, will this help? Once all of that is figure out, I intend to buy new rims. I was thinking rockstar xd's but am not sure about wheel offset. The highest it comes in is +35. Is that enough or no problems or should I get spacers?

I know it's a lot of questions but I'm not in anyway inclined in tho area of expertise and need some help.

Thanks guys!!

bobharly 12-06-2012 01:22 AM

Re: Larger tire no lift; offset

Your stock offset is +51 I believe. It should be stamped on the backside of the wheel if you want to look. As for running that tire size, you are cutting it close both in width and height. You might want to get the the wheels at the same time as you get the tires so you don't have to get the tires mounted twice. And because a +35 offset should help with clearance on the width.

What size are you currently running? 245/65/17???

Also the wheels you are going to get, how wide is the rim? I think your stock rims are 7.5 (also on the back of the wheel if you are unsure).

Post pictures of what you have and what you want. Mostly because I just like to look at pictures...

;D

hemi_shox 12-06-2012 01:56 AM

I didn't think about the wheels helping with clearance because I don't understand the whole offset thing.

I'm running the stock 245/65/17 size on my rims right now.

The width I intend to buy is a 9" all around

I'll be sure to post pictures through the whole process along with before and after measurements

bobharly 12-07-2012 02:45 AM

the rockstar xd's are 17 x 9 rims with a +35 offset?

If so, 265's should be fine for width. The guys with SRT rims (20x9, 35 offset) run up to 275's on the front. You may or may not be able to use chains at this width, but if its a snow tire, it may not matter. Your next issue is overall diameter. I assume you are setting up for "off road" style. Your desired tire is taller than stock, so you will come close to rubbing the hex nut tip from the Upper Control Arm ball joint. Much like the issue of width, as long as it doesn't touch, you should be fine. Many of us, including myself, like to have some clearance between moving parts that is not measured by the thickness of a business card, if you know what I mean. I have seen posts where guys cut the tip of the hex nut off for clearance. If you do that, remember that if you ever need to disconnect the UCA from the steering knuckle you will need to buy a new ball joint (assuming it is replaceable) or an entire UCA assembly. And why would you need to disconnect that joint your ask? Well if you want to change your coils or struts, of course, you'll need that nut tip for grip to tighten the ball joint back on. Just something to consider. I'm too tired to do the math for you, so you'll need to calculate the clearance, but I think your tire and wheel choice will be ok so far. Do a website search for your tire size, I'm sure someone else has tried this size before.

Offset, distance from center of the wheel to the hub measured in milimeters (mm). Roughly 1/4" = 6.35mm. This is handy for doing your own math.

Backspacing, distance from wheel hub to back edge of the wheel. Measured in inches.

Your 7.5" wide stock wheel should be offset 51mm (2"), and backspace 6 1/4" (8.5/2 = 4.25, +2 = 6.25). Wider Tire/wheel width can increase your backspacing. So a 9" wide rim, with offset 35, should have a backspace of 6 3/8" (10/2= 5, +1.375 = 6.375). Now remember, your tire adds to that backspacing too, so figure another 1/4 for a 265, so you are at 6 5/8". I'm not sure what the max is, but that's getting close to it.

Hopefully that helps a bit. I learned a lot preparing for my own Jeep to be lowered. When I started this stuff was mysterious to me too. )