Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Export Grand Cherokee 2011+ (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f190/)
-   -   VMS 4x4 GPS units (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f190/vms-4x4-gps-units-51247.html)

BobT 12-07-2012 04:47 AM

VMS 4x4 GPS units

Has anyone any experience with the VMS GPS units? They sound pretty interesting albeit pricy. They appear to have all the normal road functions and an off-road function as well. There is also an option to one or two reversing cameras which would be great for trailers. See VMS 4x4 - Find A New Path — Portable Navigation

savvas 12-07-2012 03:32 PM

Re: VMS 4x4 GPS units

I've been looking at them, but at about $2500 for the in-dash (http://www.vms4x4.com/collections/na...7574-jeep-2009), you're right they are pricey. I'm also not clear on whether the in-dash unit actually integrates with the WK2's steering controls.

I've decided to go with either the VMS 7" portable of the Hema Navigator 6. Probably the VMS (the one you linked to) because it can also run the Hema maps, as well as Westprint, etc.

BobT 12-07-2012 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by savvas (Post 721240)
I've been looking at them, but at about $2500 for the in-dash (VMS 4x4 - Find A New Path — 7574 Jeep 2009+), you're right they are pricey. I'm also not clear on whether the in-dash unit actually integrates with the WK2's steering controls.

I've decided to go with either the VMS 7" portable of the Hema Navigator 6. Probably the VMS (the one you linked to) because it can also run the Hema maps, as well as Westprint, etc.

Let us know what you think after you have given them a good go. I'm a total newbie on GPS.

savvas 12-08-2012 06:57 AM

Yep. Wont be till next year sometime though.

I'm likely to go with the VMS T700HDS Outback Adventure Pack at GPSOZ - for all your GPS requirements. ... VMS Portable GPS units.

At the moment I'm having a think about how I can make a dash top console to hold the GPS navigator and maybe a mobile phone, and keep all the wiring tidy and discreet. It will have to be matched to the interior, and leave no trace when removed. I'll let you know how I go with that when it happens.

John47 12-08-2012 06:01 PM

After seeing what Hickers is using I decided to try out the Mudmaps HD app on our iPad (3g and Wifi). It doesn't have a sim card installed but this is the model with the inbuilt GPS, so you don't need a phone signal for the navigation to work. Retails thru Itunes @ ~$150 and we used an Itunes gift card from Myer that came with 20% discount so the initial price was very reasonable. Mud Map - Powerful Off Road GPS App for iPad
The MM HD comes with a set of maps that are carried on the iPad - these include various maps that provide street level or off road outback - (from Westprint, we've used these paper maps extensively in the scrub over the years). The app is easy to use, (my wife is in charge of that), and we've tried it out on our current trip from GC to Ballarat - more than happy with the accuracy and information available, from the various map selections in the bundle. Other maps can be purchased and downloaded as required.
The Ipad sits propped up on non skid mad on the bottom front of the console, current project is to come up with a good easily managed bracket so it can be slid under the seat when we leave the vehicle. At the moment it sits there fine. Power comes from the accessory outlet in the cubby where my brake controller is hidden.
Worth a look if you already have an iPad - it will run on your Iphone as well. We've found that we are using the Ipad more and more as our road computer hot spotted (when necessary) to the Iphone and using the data allowance bundled with our phone package.

Hickers 12-12-2012 05:30 AM

iPad has been awesome, plus it has multiple uses when travelling and saves having to take a laptop along. Can't beat that big screen. We use a ram cup holder mount which has worked well for us.

John47 12-16-2012 04:21 PM

Back home after 3500k loop to Ballarat with the van (that included the Jeep residing in Orange for 2 and a bit weeks waiting for a new fuel rail !!!! - runs great again now....).
On topic again - we ran the iPad with Mud Maps HD as a navigation exercise and have been quite impressed - it'll do what we wanted - provide on and off road coverage without phone signal.
It was simple to operate, we used mostly the Back Country maps included with the app and for road use we scaled from 3k to 10k on the screen - in towns for street level we went to the Austopo maps at 200m scale.
The ipad worked well sitting vertical on non slip mat on the console (doesn't move and easy to see) and my wife can simply pick it up and put it down as required to poodle with it when coming into a town. For now I won't bother with a bracket. It never lost satellite signal in that position, accuracy was between 6 and 10m whenever we bothered to check.
It slips under the seat when we leave the vehicle. I've changed the power supply into the deep console outlet to keep the lead arrangement simple and allow the device to stay powered up when being held or under the seat.
If you have an Ipad with 3g and wireless this is worth a look. Perhaps even add it to your wish list if you are considering a tablet addition to your gadget portfolio......

josh3008 12-16-2012 04:35 PM

We use our ipad for the same thing, very helpful and like others have said, big screen.
We don't have a holder yet but for movies my wife slips the cover over the sunvisor and it hangs down like a movie screen.

savvas 12-16-2012 09:38 PM

I'm interested in a tablet, but I also want a separate nav unit anyway. Toys, toys, toys!!!

allypally 12-17-2012 03:21 PM

I have been hanging out for the Windows 8 tablets, so will probably get one of these in the near future. With Win8 I will have all the same functionality of the desktop pc in the car. Am looing at the new HP Envy, which is a small laptop, but the screen clips off to become a tablet.

BobT 12-18-2012 05:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by allypally (Post 725761)
I have been hanging out for the Windows 8 tablets, so will probably get one of these in the near future. With Win8 I will have all the same functionality of the desktop pc in the car. Am looing at the new HP Envy, which is a small laptop, but the screen clips off to become a tablet.

I may end up going that way too eventually. John's Mud Maps sounds brilliant. Unfortunately I don't think it's available on Windows and I'm trying to avoid getting drawn into the Apple web. I do photography and need a lot of processing grunt and a large calibrated monitor so I need a PC but the missus might need to replace her ageing laptop. I'm still eyeing off the VMS units.

John47 12-18-2012 05:46 AM

Get her an iPad and an iPhone - she'll luvya
Go ga ga's with the apps for her - get Mud Maps for your birthday - and you'll be converted. Problem solvered.
You'll still have your Windows stuff but be able to play with even better stuff.....any issues you can always say "i never liked Apple anyway"....