Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f162/)
-   -   SRT8 Engine failure (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f162/srt8-engine-failure-51277.html)

RM400MAN 12-08-2012 01:04 AM

SRT8 Engine failure

Hi guys, I recently bought a new 2012 SRT8 Grand Cherokee,just turned over 1500klms (1000 miles) and have now the pleasure of a failed engine.Number 6 cylinder has a bent pushrod and cracked rocker arm.My dealer cannot give me a reasonable explantion for the failure,Jeep Australia just want to throw a few replacement parts at it and hope for the best.Has anyone any knowledge of this type of failure in the SRT.My limited knowledge of pushrod engines leads me to believe that there is more going on than Jeep are willing to tell me.This vehicle has had trouble reversing up my driveway from day1,I am demanding a new vehicle to replace this piece of rubbish,but am fighting jeep for a reasonable outcome.If anyone has any info can you email me- rm400man@yahoo.com.au:mad:

Scottina06 12-08-2012 02:41 AM

First we've heard on a 12+

Hillmar 12-08-2012 03:41 AM

Re: SRT8 Engine failure

I have a question in regards to this engine issue, I have a my13 its just done 1000kms and if I look at the exhaust tips one is clean and the other one has all black stuff all over it

Itís like one side is richer than the other will get photos shortly.

Has anyone noticed this on their jeep srt8.

Also when I cruise at 60 kms it surges like the rpm is too low for the gear itís in.

I only run on 98 ron fuel

Hilly

mjw930 12-08-2012 08:38 AM

The exhaust is blended so there's no direct connection between a bank of cylinders and the exhaust tip. It's possible one side of the exhaust has a flapper that's sticking but it's more likely an environmental thing with the type of roads or driving you are doing. The surging is the MDS system engaging and disengaging. When this happens put the truck in fifth gear using the paddles to see if it goes away, of it does then MDS is the culprit.

A.V.GCSRT8 12-08-2012 02:07 PM

Mine broke last week but its not my motor. I hope they get you squared away mine goes in monday

Dguth 12-08-2012 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A.V.GCSRT8 (Post 721648)
Mine broke last week but its not my motor. I hope they get you squared away mine goes in monday

What happened to yours?

Schleprock 12-08-2012 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RM400MAN (Post 721445)
Hi guys, I recently bought a new 2012 SRT8 Grand Cherokee,just turned over 1500klms (1000 miles) and have now the pleasure of a failed engine.Number 6 cylinder has a bent pushrod and cracked rocker arm.My dealer cannot give me a reasonable explantion for the failure,Jeep Australia just want to throw a few replacement parts at it and hope for the best.Has anyone any knowledge of this type of failure in the SRT.My limited knowledge of pushrod engines leads me to believe that there is more going on than Jeep are willing to tell me.This vehicle has had trouble reversing up my driveway from day1,I am demanding a new vehicle to replace this piece of rubbish,but am fighting jeep for a reasonable outcome.If anyone has any info can you email me- rm400man@yahoo.com.au:mad:

You are not going to get a new vehicle, that's a guarantee, so take that right out of the equation. When you say throw some parts at, I hope you mean a completely new engine and not a breakdown of the block and replacement of the failed parts. If not, that's what you should be focusing on. You want an entirely new 6.4L crate engine. You should be good to go from there so long as the tech installs everything right.

EviL 12-10-2012 04:32 AM

a new 6.4 liter is in order.

and if it was me, id go shopping for a 7 liter engine :p