Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Interior/Exterior/Visual (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f176/)
-   -   Swapping out Speedometer gauge? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f176/swapping-out-speedometer-gauge-51289.html)

xchrisx 12-08-2012 11:43 AM

Swapping out Speedometer gauge?

Hi guys,

I'm in the process of purchasing a 2013 WK2 Laredo E in the US and importing it here in Canada (saving approximately $13,000 everything factored in) and I know it's as simple as changing the EVIC to metric, however my wife says she wants to have the physical speedometer gauge changed so that miles are not the predominant number.

Does anyone have the part number of just the speedo gauge with the numbers on it, or any idea on the complexity of swapping this part?

Thanks in advance.
-Chris

MAXGroup 12-08-2012 01:37 PM

Re: Swapping out Speedometer gauge?

I have not seen one of these speedos open or read about how to open it, but it looks like taking the glass off and changing the face or putting a sticker o the existing face should be a DIY thing.

For 13 grand difference juts do it and you'll find a way to fix it once you have the car :-)

xchrisx 12-08-2012 01:49 PM

Yeah, I've scoured the forums and have not seen anyone else who has done this yet. Personally, I can live with the MPH as primary but hey - happy wife, happy life, right?

It looks like this might be the part I need:

LENS. Instrument Cluster. Cluster; Instrument Panel Cluster. 2013 JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE 4x4, 3.6L V6 24V VVT, 5-Speed Auto W5A580 LAREDO # 68093194AA

Scottina06 12-09-2012 02:15 AM

That's just the lenses my friend. Try justforjeeps at 1888651-jeep. Ask for peter....tell him Scott sent you. Also try eBay and www.car-part.com

xchrisx 12-09-2012 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottina06 (Post 721867)
That's just the lenses my friend. Try justforjeeps at 1888651-jeep. Ask for peter....tell him Scott sent you. Also try eBay and www.car-part.com

Ah bummer. Thanks for the heads up, I'll give both a try!

Roaster Boy 12-11-2012 09:56 PM

You know that they will void the warranty when it is imported into Canada and is void in both Canada and the United States (RIV reports VIN info to Chrysler Canada). I know the $13K would be enough to cover any major issues over the life of the Jeep, but wanted you to be aware.

xchrisx 12-15-2012 12:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roaster Boy (Post 723374)
You know that they will void the warranty when it is imported into Canada and is void in both Canada and the United States (RIV reports VIN info to Chrysler Canada). I know the $13K would be enough to cover any major issues over the life of the Jeep, but wanted you to be aware.

Yes, I am unfortunately aware of this. We just imported the vehicle into Canada today without any problems, so now we hope that we didn't get a lemon!

Thinking about a 3rd party warranty but not sure if it would be worth the money...