Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   Recirculating Cabin Air (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/recirculating-cabin-air-51291.html)

glassmtn 12-08-2012 12:29 PM

Recirculating Cabin Air

During my extended test drive of the V6 Limited, I noticed that the climate control recirculating air button would automatically go off after a relatively short amount of time, maybe 10 minutes, and allow outside air into the cabin. I know using recirculated air can have a tendency to fog up the windshield, but it really irritates me that auto companies force the use of outside air. My wife is very sensitive to air pollution, including vehicle exhaust, and we much prefer to drive with the climate control set to Recirculation. We feel we are smart enough to change to outside air when the windows begin to fog. We don't need the a car company to babysit us.

Enough of my rant. Does anyone know if there is a way to keep the Recirculation mode on all the time and manually choose to let outside air into the cabin when you want it? In other words, is there a way to get around the automatic change from Recirculation to Outside Air in the JGC automatic climate control?

eric.

2012 Summit 12-08-2012 01:05 PM

Re: Recirculating Cabin Air

I'm not 100% sure, but I have observed in "auto" mode the system will determine what vents are used such as floor, dash. or defrost. The recirculate will turn off whenever the "auto" mode determines defrost is needed.

If you choose the mode, other than auto, the recirculate should stay on.

armoredsaint 12-08-2012 01:38 PM

it's normal in many cars, the stale air or your windows fog up. Op you sound angry.

glassmtn 12-08-2012 02:59 PM

Quote:

Op you sound angry.
As a thinking human beings,I am just irritated that car companies do not trust us to let in outside air when we see the windows begin to fog. Are they afraid of lawsuits or something?

eric.

glassmtn 12-08-2012 03:02 PM

Quote:

If you choose the mode, other than auto, the recirculate should stay on.
I think I was in manual mode, but being a first time drive I could be wrong. Cars are getting more and more complex every year. And manuals are getting longer and longer. In another 10 years, I will not be able to buy a new car as they will be much too complex for me to handle.

eric.

2012 Summit 12-08-2012 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glassmtn (Post 721661)
I think I was in manual mode, but being a first time drive I could be wrong. Cars are getting more and more complex every year. And manuals are getting longer and longer. In another 10 years, I will not be able to buy a new car as they will be much too complex for me to handle.

eric.

In manual mode, mine will stay on recirculate until either I turn it off or upon restart. I too prefer recirculate especially when behind diesel trucks/buses and old vehicles that are blowing burnt oil out their exhaust.

glassmtn 12-08-2012 05:48 PM

Quote:

In manual mode, mine will stay on recirculate until either I turn it off or upon restart.
Do you have automatic climate control or the older style manual air conditioning? This Limited has automatic climate control.

eric.

2012 Summit 12-08-2012 05:57 PM

Overland Summit with Dual-Zone Automatic Temperature Control (ATC)

glassmtn 12-16-2012 06:12 PM

So I have my new 2013 JGC Limited. I am 99.9% sure I am on Manual climate control. I am running the air through the windshield Defrost and the Feet simultaneously. I push the the Recirculate button. The light on the Recirculate button comes on. In maybe 10 minutes or so, I check the Recirculate button to see if it is still on, and it is off and I am breathing outside diesel fumes. Is this the way it is supposed to be or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks for your assistance.
eric.

2012 Summit 12-16-2012 06:28 PM

If you are blowing through the defrost vents, you will not recirculate. Try setting the mode to only blow at the feet.

glassmtn 12-16-2012 06:50 PM

Quote:

If you are blowing through the defrost vents, you will not recirculate. Try setting the mode to only blow at the feet.
I was afraid that would be the answer. In the winter, going through only the feet or chest has a tendency to fog the windows rapidly when on Recirculate. My wife's Subaru Outback with Climate Control allows the driver to go through the Windshield and Feet simultaneously and still use Recirculate. It keeps the windows Fog free most of the time. When they start to fog, I select the outside air. On her Outback, if you only go through the Windshield, then it also forces the use of outside air.

I think it is a shame that Chrysler does not allow the driver to choose outside air or recirculate.

eric.

Yadkin 12-16-2012 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glassmtn (Post 721660)
As a thinking human beings,I am just irritated that car companies do not trust us to let in outside air when we see the windows begin to fog. Are they afraid of lawsuits or something?

eric.

Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.