Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Export Grand Cherokee 2011+ (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f190/)
-   -   Unrepairable Puncture after owning my JGC for a week (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f190/unrepairable-puncture-after-owning-my-jgc-for-a-week-51326.html)

kirkg 12-09-2012 06:29 AM

Unrepairable Puncture after owning my JGC for a week

Talk about bad luck - I've managed to get a puncture in the side wall of one of my tyres after owning my new JGC for 1 week :( As a result it's unrepairable - so I'm left with a virtually brand new Michelin Latitude Tour HD tyre which is unusable.

Anyone on the Gold Coast in Australia, or any other suggestions, where to get the cheapest replacement Michelin Lat Tour HD 265/60 R18? It happened late Saturday so I only managed to get one quote, $475 fitted, from Bob Jane. I'd love that not to be the best price for obvious reasons but I'm not inclined to put something else on there given the car (& other tyres) are basically brand new.

Cheers.

Kirk.

josh3008 12-09-2012 04:31 PM

Re: Unrepairable Puncture after owning my JGC for a week

I had a pin hole on the very edge of the tread and they nearly didn't want to try and fix it. Ended up convincing them to fix it but they would not guarantee it would hold up. Just keeping that tyre on the back just in case it does go down then switch to coopers i think.

Where abouts on the sidewall is the leak and how big?

dsemtff 12-09-2012 04:36 PM

Why can't it be patched from the inside of the tire?

ENFORCER 12-09-2012 04:53 PM

They will not plug a sidewall as it will compromise the integrity of the tire.
My wife hit a gutter and trashed a 2hr old $500 tire last year, so I feel your pain.
As for a different tire, I would not recommend this as the rolling diameter of the different brand will affect the whole driveline. I would just replace it with what is on it.

BobT 12-09-2012 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kirkg (Post 721894)
Talk about bad luck - I've managed to get a puncture in the side wall of one of my tyres after owning my new JGC for 1 week :( As a result it's unrepairable - so I'm left with a virtually brand new Michelin Latitude Tour HD tyre which is unusable.

Anyone on the Gold Coast in Australia, or any other suggestions, where to get the cheapest replacement Michelin Lat Tour HD 265/60 R18? It happened late Saturday so I only managed to get one quote, $475 fitted, from Bob Jane. I'd love that not to be the best price for obvious reasons but I'm not inclined to put something else on there given the car (& other tyres) are basically brand new.

Cheers.

Kirk.

I feel your pain. I think tyre repairers are reluctant to repair anything but the most simplest punctures for fear of litigation. I'm sure they would have no hesitation in having a go if it was their own tyre. I would have a go at fixing it myself before I'd forked out that kind of loot but that's me. If you haven't already got a tyre repair kit, I highly recommended getting one anyway. The cheapies at Supercrap Autos are just as good. If it's just a simple nail puncture near the tread, it may just hold.

I'm coming to the conclusion that P type tyres such as the OEM Kumhos and Michelins they have given us, are just not up to Aussie conditions. I'll be going for LT tyres when my Kumhos wear out which looks to be real soon now. At the moment there is only one LT tyre that fits the size exactly and that's the Bridgestone D697. BF Goodrich have a near fit.

Archer9 12-09-2012 06:09 PM

You're actually lucky in a way that it's so new. You can just slap a new tire on and you're good to go. Otherwise you could be looking at changing all 4. Too bad about the price though ...

bill_de 12-09-2012 06:48 PM

Back in the late 70's I worked for Firestone. We flew to Ohio for a meeting part of which was on tire repair. They had a rep there from Tech who claimed that punctures in the sidewall of radials could safely be repaired. Their method was to plug the tire from the inside, cut the plug flush and cover it with a patch. He had a tire with him that had nineteen such repairs and then driven 30,000 miles on a test track with no failures.

We started repairing tires that way under the road hazard warranty. In the few years I continued to work there we never had a problem.

I wonder if Tech still stands by that repair method.

kirkg 12-09-2012 07:50 PM

@Josh3008 it's on the upper edge but at least a thumb width away from the tread which is what i've been told is where they draw the line. It's a decent size given how quickly it went down.

What's making this worse is that I've just found out that Michelin don't have any Latitude Tour replacements in stock & won't do for 8 weeks. So I've not got a lot of options. Jax @ Tweed Heads have 4 in stock but they've told me that they are a lower load rating than the standard tyres (109 vs 110 i believe) so it looks like i can't take them either.

I'd love to patch it (especially given what bill_de passed on) but with 2 young children I just don't think i can risk it.

kirkg 12-09-2012 11:08 PM

Quick update - I worked out the Michelin Latitudes have a 109 Load Rating which is what Jax have in stock. They'll also fit them for $350 for me - which still isn't cheap but lessens the all round pain for me at least.

josh3008 12-10-2012 02:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kirkg (Post 722263)
@Josh3008 it's on the upper edge but at least a thumb width away from the tread which is what i've been told is where they draw the line. It's a decent size given how quickly it went down.

What's making this worse is that I've just found out that Michelin don't have any Latitude Tour replacements in stock & won't do for 8 weeks. So I've not got a lot of options. Jax @ Tweed Heads have 4 in stock but they've told me that they are a lower load rating than the standard tyres (109 vs 110 i believe) so it looks like i can't take them either.

I'd love to patch it (especially given what bill_de passed on) but with 2 young children I just don't think i can risk it.

Mine was in about the same place but wasn't as big, i lost 10psi over 48 hours or so.

Glad you got it all sorted, i can't wait for my kuhmo's to wear out. Never again will i get them.