Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Audio/Visual/Navigation (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f155/)
-   -   Center dash speaker (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f155/center-dash-speaker-51339.html)

voyagerx 12-09-2012 12:40 PM

Center dash speaker

Has anybody replaced the center dash speaker?

If so, was it difficult? Does it sound better? Any details on how and which speaker you used would be appreciated.

Thanks!

1stJeepGC 12-09-2012 01:55 PM

Re: Center dash speaker

Quote:

Originally Posted by voyagerx (Post 722022)
Has anybody replaced the center dash speaker?

If so, was it difficult? Does it sound better? Any details on how and which speaker you used would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Greetings,

I have not yet change out my center speaker, however I do know that the space is tight and you are limited to 3.5 inch speaker unless you perform modifications.

For the speaker, stick with a full range 3 or 3.5 inch speaker. Basically, you are looking for frequency range of 100 to 18,000 hz. The speaker is calibrated from the factory amp since it has the Eurphony 7.1 processing inside.

Here is some examples to look at from Madisound.com. Phone support is excellent.

The Madisound Speaker Store

Also, try partexpress.com, another great company.

Parts Express: the #1 source for audio, video & speaker building components

Hope this helps and best for now. :)

kkreit01 12-10-2012 11:22 AM

I replaced mine with an Alpine 3.5" coax. If you search, you'll see that Alpine has not made a 3.5" in quite a few years. I found a new set on ebay. They are made in Korea. Most all new ones are made in China. I'm pleased with the results. A lot of sound seems to come from the top/dash. Replacing this speaker with a decent one will "crisp" up the highs. I can't remember if I took any pics?

Install is easy. The long center panel in the dash pops out, and then 2 screws for the speaker. Like others have said, you won't get a 4" in there w/o a lot of hacking. I didn't want to mess with the defrost airflow, etc. There are a lot of very good 4" choices, but 3.5" choices are slim. Hertz makes some for $99, but at that price I'd have to listen before forking out that kind of cash for a tiny speaker. You can find many decent choices in the $50-70 range.

voyagerx 12-10-2012 06:05 PM

Thanks everyone, appreciate the info!

voyagerx 12-10-2012 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kkreit01 (Post 722467)
I replaced mine with an Alpine 3.5" coax. If you search, you'll see that Alpine has not made a 3.5" in quite a few years. I found a new set on ebay. They are made in Korea. Most all new ones are made in China. I'm pleased with the results. A lot of sound seems to come from the top/dash. Replacing this speaker with a decent one will "crisp" up the highs. I can't remember if I took any pics?

Install is easy. The long center panel in the dash pops out, and then 2 screws for the speaker. Like others have said, you won't get a 4" in there w/o a lot of hacking. I didn't want to mess with the defrost airflow, etc. There are a lot of very good 4" choices, but 3.5" choices are slim. Hertz makes some for $99, but at that price I'd have to listen before forking out that kind of cash for a tiny speaker. You can find many decent choices in the $50-70 range.

One last question - did you use a speaker wire adapter or did you just cut in to the factory wiring? Thanks!

kkreit01 12-11-2012 11:31 AM

I used splices. You can buy whole pack of 50 at HF:

50 Pack Quick Wire Splices

Or, you can buy 2-4 at your local hardware store for more :). This way, you don't have to cut OE harness. The plugin harnesses/adapters are nice if you can buy them locally.

voyagerx 12-11-2012 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kkreit01 (Post 723032)
I used splices. You can buy whole pack of 50 at HF:

50 Pack Quick Wire Splices

Or, you can buy 2-4 at your local hardware store for more :). This way, you don't have to cut OE harness. The plugin harnesses/adapters are nice if you can buy them locally.

Thanks again!

moosehead 12-11-2012 03:53 PM

IME the center speaker does not add much if any sound quality or sound stage. Better to focus on front door components, solid sub enclosure, and proper power.

kkreit01 12-12-2012 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moosehead (Post 723147)
IME the center speaker does not add much if any sound quality or sound stage. Better to focus on front door components, solid sub enclosure, and proper power.

This is true, but takes a lot of money (new comps, amps, wiring kits, adapters to make it work, hours of install time, etc). If you don't have the funds or huge need to do it all up front, replacing the the center dash speaker helps a bit, takes 15 min, and costs very little. Unfortunately, it takes a lot of money and time to make significant improvements on these systems.

voyagerx 12-12-2012 02:24 PM

I've got a full system in the works, all of the parts are here except the Stealthbox.

I've been reading a bunch on diymobileaudio, and many people do believe the center channel helps and I tend to agree. If only a single passenger is in the car, time alignment can be used to place the driver "centered" in the soundstage, at the expense of the passenger seat. With a center speaker and the appropriate processing, you can get a centered sound stage from both seats.

Most people are using the MS-8 to create this center channel and say it is more than just the L and R channels summed. I would assume that the Alpine Euphony DSP is making this channel in a similar way, as the stock sound stage is actually fairly good. An ideal setup would allow me to switch between no center channel with time alignment when alone, and using the center channel when going on long road trips with passengers. I am installing a 3sixty.3 which could handle this, but don't currently have an amp channel to dedicate to the center speaker alone, so for now I'll probably just leave it connected to the stock amp.

moosehead 12-12-2012 04:31 PM

^agree with you both, in my case just kept the existing center bridged and bought new amp power for the 4 mains and subwoofer which drive a bigger bang for the buck. The existing stock amps even in the Overland were diluted across too many speakers. Good on you for taking it to another level.

Voyagerx, you'll really appreciate the stealthbox, enjoy.

1stJeepGC 12-13-2012 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by voyagerx (Post 723656)
Most people are using the MS-8 to create this center channel and say it is more than just the L and R channels summed. I would assume that the Alpine Euphony DSP is making this channel in a similar way, as the stock sound stage is actually fairly good.

Greetings,

You are correct that the Alpine DSP Euphony 7.1 works the same as the JBL MS-8 Logic 7. In the Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep SRT that have the Harman systems, the Logic 7 is used. Many of the top European Cars also use the Logic 7.

After researching about the MS-8 a year ago, I felt it was not a good choice based on the hit and miss commentary on the tuning and 2.8 pre-out volts. I wanted to see how the Alpine PXA-H800 and the RF 3sixty.3 were going to preform. Now between the two, IMO the RF 3sixty.3 is the right way to go with their features and price point. If JBL releases a new version of the MS-8 then that would be they way to go.

When I start my first phase install this coming spring, I will have the JL Audio's stealhbox for bass and 3 amps to power all the speakers. For the speakers I am still debating between Morel Hifi, DLS Audio (had them before and loved them) or Pioneer's Stage 4 speakers (got some stuff on a close buy). I still might get raw drivers from Madisound.com, they have some serious product lines for sound quality.

The next phase will be the processor. If I do not like anything out their or coming down the road shortly, I most likely use the factory amp DSP steering logic and then send the signals into the RF 3sixty.3 for the fine turning. The key for that is I have to sum the front woofer/tweeter and the bass from the factory amp and send those five (5) channels into 3sixty.3. Then I will take the center directly into 3sixty.3 along with one of the rears. The other rear will go directly into the amp. Instead of 7.1 system, I will have a 7.0 system which is great for music.

The last phase is the headunit, which is another story to my crazy system.

Best for now.:)