Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems Discussion (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f77/)
-   -   new key help (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f77/new-key-help-51340.html)

gabegarcia956 12-09-2012 12:51 PM

new key help

I just bought my car and it only had one key with the fob. I just want to get one other key made with out the fob. do you have to program a key with out a fob? or just get it cut and it will work?

goflick 12-09-2012 01:45 PM

Re: new key help

You need two working fobs to do it yourself. You are going to have to pay the dealership a visit.

gabegarcia956 12-09-2012 07:24 PM

even if the one i buy does not have a fob?

goflick 12-09-2012 08:28 PM

What year is your vehicle??? There is a chip in the Fob from 05 on, iirc, a cut key without the programmed fob will start the vehicle for a couple of seconds then I think if you try and put the vehicle in gear it shuts down.

gabegarcia956 12-09-2012 10:39 PM

its a 2006. so can i even buy a key with out a fob?

spyder873 12-10-2012 08:02 AM

moved to troubleshooting to get more views

dr.lee.baugh 12-10-2012 08:51 PM

Unfortunately, even without the FOB the key still has to be programmed to be usable.

The SKREEM system reads the "chip" on the key, and will shut down after ~6s of running if it does not recognize the key.

As mentioned previously, to program a new key without a Starscan, you need 2 working keys that have already been programmed to the vehicle. If you only have 1 working key, it's a trip to the dealer.

gabegarcia956 12-11-2012 10:34 PM

so if i got to the dealer with just one key with the fob and a key without a fob can they program it. or do i need 2 keys with the fob?

dr.lee.baugh 12-13-2012 09:57 AM

Depends on the key!

You can't just get a key cut at a hardware store (since that doesn't have the chip). You can purchase keys without the FOB from the dealer (and I'm sure some online places as well) that still have the required "chip".

The dealer will be able to program the new key, even if you only have 1. You only require 2 programmed keys if you want to program a third (or fourth, etc.) yourself.

I would just buy the key from the dealership (either with or without the FOB) and have them program it. If there are any problems and you have supplied your own they aren't going to do anything to help you out and will likely still charge you for their attempts at programming.

I just had to replace a key that my wife had lost the other day, the key itself was $180 (with the FOB) and they charged $30 to program it.

Drew 12-17-2012 09:47 AM

Two ways to approach this....Since you only have one working key you WILL need the dealer to program for the second key to work.
1)If you bought your jeep from a dealer I'd go back to that dealer and work on getting them to cover a second key....
2)You can get a chipped key without the fob and once programmed, will start the jeep. It will make the alarm go nuts when you use the key for the door though... Look through ebay and look for keys from late 90's through 01' jeeps. They have a grey rubber key head. The key can be "cut" by anyone (walmart, home depot etc etc).
However, I'd imagine the dealer is going to bang you with a programming charge and it could be as much as one hour of labor. So, for all your time/energy you might just be better off sucking it up and going to the dealer and getting a second key complete with fob programmed. Once you have two working keys then you can buy the "grey" key and program it yourself as a third.