Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Audio/Visual/Navigation (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f186/)
-   -   DIY Aux in for stock REF radio? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f186/diy-aux-in-for-stock-ref-radio-51350.html)

skidolof 12-09-2012 03:56 PM

DIY Aux in for stock REF radio?

Have searched alot with no luck.

Has anyone made a DIY solution on a 3.5mm aux in for example an MP3 player to their stock REF radio?

Mine doesnt have that.. I dont want to go for a modular kit due to the sound quality. I just wondering if there is a simple solution?

Perhaps pick a new head unit up on ebay that has it from the begining? :)

skidolof 12-09-2012 04:06 PM

Re: DIY Aux in for stock REF radio?

Another question, why do some REF have aux in an some dont?

Yadkin 12-09-2012 04:09 PM

Goggle "fm modulator" and you'll get many hits. These work by converting your auxiliary signal to FM. Select one that tees into your antenna wire, since the sound quality is far superior than the type that sends a wireless signal.

Depending on the type, you may also want to buy a panel mount mini-connector at Radio shack along with a small push button on-off switch. Find an empty spot on your dash and mount these. Use the switch to turn the modulator power off so it doesn't affect your normal FM stations.

skidolof 12-14-2012 05:36 AM

Thanks for the tip! But Would it work if I just bought a new head unit with Aux in? Same price on ebay..

Is it plug and play or do they have some kind of anti theft, with codes?

spyder873 12-14-2012 09:40 AM

should be Plug and play , unless you have sirius , then you will need to contact them about transferring it to the new radio

Yadkin 12-14-2012 10:50 AM

I don't know enough about your system and the head unit you are considering to know if they are compatible. As an example I bought a used 05 Mustang that had the factory "Shaker" system in it. Back in 05 there was no aux capability.

The previous owner had swapped in an after market head unit and the sound was terrible and every time I turned it on there was a loud "click" through the bass that would nearly make my dog shit herself. The problem is that the factory unit has a low amp signal to satellite amps that power the bass speakers.

I ended up buying a new head unit from an 07 Mustang to replace it. It has an aux setting in its menu and I tried a half-dozen methods to wire it to a panel mount jack but no success.

jrjeep 12-14-2012 11:18 AM

check my build thread i installed an 06 stereo with aux in, in my 05

skidolof 12-15-2012 05:12 PM

Thanks for the help guys! Think Ill upgrade the stock head unit for stock head unit with aux..