Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/)
-   -   2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Parking Brake (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/2004-jeep-grand-cherokee-parking-brake-51363.html)

Parishark 12-09-2012 08:34 PM

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Parking Brake

Hello everyone, Happy Holidays. I have a 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee with a parking brake of the pull-up lever type. This morning when applying or pulling up on the lever, I heard and felt a "pop", and the lever went limp. It still gives a weak clicking sound when pulling up, and the parking brake indicator light still illuminates when applying and goes out upon releasing, but there is no tension applied to the brake shoes to hold the vehicle still. My theory is the connection between the brake lever cable and the tensioner cables to the rear wheels has been severed somehow. I elevated the vehicle, and crawled underneath, and watched while I had an assistant move the brake lever up and down, but I couldn't see any movement or even locate the tensioner cables to the rear wheels, Anyone have any ideas what repairs I may be facing and what parts may be needed? I"m in the Atlanta, Ga. area. Thanks all.

SnoFire 12-09-2012 09:04 PM

Re: 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Parking Brake

Welcome to JeepGarage!! Check out the WJ section of the forums for your issue, you will get a lot more responses there.

Frango100 12-09-2012 10:33 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Welcome to the garage.
I have attached a few pages of the service manual, maybe it will help a bit. I would expect a cable end which detached or even a cable which sheared, but only opening it up will tell you more.

chilzzi 07-21-2013 05:42 PM

the exact same thing happened to me yesterday.

has someone got those pages to remove the centre console?

Frango100 07-21-2013 06:31 PM

Away from home, so not able to attach the page here (my work computer doesn't allow to install the required software:mad:)
I can only copy and paste, hope that it helps. Before attempting any work under the console area, disconnect the battery and wait for some minutes before starting work. This time is necessary for the airbag control module capacitor to discharge and prevent an unwanted airbag deployment. The control module is mounted aft of the shifter assy.

(1) Set park brake.
(2) Place transmission shift lever and transfer case
lever in full rearward position.
(3) Remove mat from front bin and remove screws
attaching front of console to floor (Fig. 9).
(4) Remove screws attaching rear bin to console.
(5) Remove rear bin.
(6) Pull rear passenger cupholder outward to
access screws.
(7) Remove screws attaching rear of console to
floor.
(8) Lift the console upward and rearward.
(9) Remove console from vehicle.

chilzzi 07-21-2013 07:16 PM

Many thanks Frank!