Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Pentastar octane (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/pentastar-octane-51364.html)

NewEnglandOverland 12-09-2012 08:46 PM

Pentastar octane

Hello, any one have any comments on 89 fuel in a pentastar, ive only used 87 in my 2012 pentastar Overland since I bought it, but was thinking about switching, I have a KN air intake in there

SnoFire 12-09-2012 09:03 PM

Re: Pentastar octane

Welcome to JeepGarage and congrats on the GC Overland. You will be fine with using 87 octane, won't hurt anything. As for the K&N filter, most will tell you that you don't gain anything with it other than more dirt in your system.

berk483 12-10-2012 03:28 AM

The pentastar V6 is tuned for 87 octane. Running 89 will only cost more for the same performance. After a tune then it's a different story.

scooterha 12-10-2012 06:01 AM

I use 89 in my pentastar and it does add a little more pep to it and I'll tell you, once you start using 89 stick with it. I had been using 87 when I first got the Jeep, then for a couple of months used 89 then decided to use 87 again, the Jeep did not like the change.

2012 Summit 12-10-2012 06:12 AM

According to the owners manual:

3.6L Engine

This engine is designed to meet all emissions
regulations and provide excellent
fuel economy and performance when using
high-quality unleaded “regular” gasoline
having an octane rating of 87. The use
of premium gasoline is not recommended
as it will not provide any benefit over regular gasoline in
these engines.

scooterha 12-10-2012 06:29 AM

may not be recommended but does make a little difference in pep.

tuned8e 12-10-2012 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scooterha (Post 722397)
may not be recommended but does make a little difference in pep.

According to what? A butt dyno?.. more than likely the 'pep' is all in your head hate to tell you.

Jeep_addicted 12-10-2012 07:28 AM

I like to see these OCTANE arguments.

It is funny how one time you want to follow the owner's manual but at other times we don't follow it.

The choice of octane is the same as the choice of oil.

Where is live your choices are 91/93 or 87

I have tried both grade in my car.

87 is definitely the way to go if your commute does not include to much stop and go traffic or many uphill.

93 does pull back the timing and make the car feel like it capable of moving it forward at a lower engine speed.

To me the only time you will see a true difference with 93 is when you have a performance exhaust.

Two months after I put on the magnaflow dual exhaust I accidentally put 93 in the tank and didn't notice until I realized the $90 I gave the attendant didn't fill the tank. I was pleasantly surprised after a day or two of driving that the combination of the freer exhaust and the higher octane added a punch the the low end and midrange power and torque.

I said all of that to say that like everyone has said unless you are modded you can't fully utilize the 93 so you are best using the 87.

JTS97Z28 12-10-2012 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tuned8e (Post 722401)
According to what? A butt dyno?.. more than likely the 'pep' is all in your head hate to tell you.

I agree! Do people still really think that running a different octane does anything for performance? That is a long time myth that people still believe in. Your Pentastar is designed to run on 87 octane like people have said. There is no benefit to running 89 octane and there will be no performance gain. Its all in your mind.

jerkylips 12-10-2012 09:42 AM

Not sure if this is true everywhere, but around here 87 octane is typically 10% ethanol, where the higher octanes have no ethanol. That may be where you're feeling the extra "pep".

Yadkin 12-10-2012 09:49 AM

Nope. Ethanol provides the same power. You just use more of it.

SnoFire 12-10-2012 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jerkylips (Post 722437)
Not sure if this is true everywhere, but around here 87 octane is typically 10% ethanol, where the higher octanes have no ethanol. That may be where you're feeling the extra "pep".

Around here the only Octane that does have ethanol is 93, otherwise 87,89, and 91 have 10%.