Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Interior/Exterior/Visual (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f176/)
-   -   Rock rails & installation cost/fair or unfair (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f176/rock-rails-and-installation-cost-fair-or-unfair-51395.html)

Wxchaser 12-10-2012 04:04 PM

Rock rails & installation cost/fair or unfair

Do you think the pricing stated below is fair or not fair? I am finally going to pull the trigger on the rock rails for my '12 GC Overland, and get them installed just before Christmas.

Here is the quote I got from a large dealership in Colorado Springs:

Rock Rails $868.00
Tax - -$64.23 (sales tax)
Labor - - $259.87
Shop supply $26.00

Total - - $1218.10

I'd at least like a break on the cost of the rock rails, even Mopar is $850.00, it would be nice finangling 10 to 15 percent off that cost.
The shop labor seems fair as I assume 4 to 6 hours of labor at least for anyone to put these on correctly.

Let me know your opinions as soon as possible & thanks in advance for your help.

Wxchaser 12-10-2012 08:06 PM

Re: Rock rails & installation cost/fair or unfair

Disregard - the Mopar rock rails are on back order, and the dealership wanted $140 to ship them in via freight. I said no since Justforjeeps.com price is much less though they are also out of stock.

So=back to the drawing board.

I said no to the shipping costs, just not worth the extra price to me.

Bart Man 12-10-2012 08:18 PM

I agree the price is way too steep for the rock rails all though the the labor factor,,, only two hours wich is a deal ! even at a 100 -120 per hour !! its a min 4-6 hrs job at home :o , I also dont know why there on back order !:mad: seems to be a popular item!!! so Mopar should step it up !!, or lets get some competitors in the mix !! LETS GO! WE NEED MORE WK2 ACCESSORIES !!! AND AFTER MARKET PRODUCTS!! :thumbsup:

berk483 12-10-2012 11:21 PM

I was going to say the same...the labor cost is quite good. Source the rails yourself from somewhere after they come off backorder and keep the labor quote to have them install.

Rich Lee 12-11-2012 01:49 AM

I'm getting mine locally installed for $150 in los angeles.

kkreit01 12-11-2012 11:18 AM

^ I pity the guy installing them. Good deal for you though.

Wxchaser 12-11-2012 05:07 PM

I am trying to source the Mopar rockrails - if I can't find them I may have to go the RRO route with the sliders instead.

Alaska-HWY JK 12-11-2012 05:17 PM

I would gladly pay someone $259.87 or $150 in labour to do this job. I guess after doing it once it may go a little quicker but its just a slow process. They are nice once they're on.

Bart Man 12-11-2012 05:22 PM

Just ordered mine ! Could take mounts :mad:, backordered for whatever reason :confused:,, the ony good thing is I only paid 677.04 from Chrysler Parts Direct ,just hope that they'll be here by the spring:thumbsup: Wish me luck!!:)

Wxchaser 12-13-2012 06:09 AM

Thanks for the tip about Chrysler Parts Direct, that is a great price.

I just don't quite understand the supply chain shortages for rock rails, I never thought they would be much in demand. I will keep looking.

surfWK2 12-14-2012 02:32 AM

I got my mopar sliders, skids and tow hooks at wholesale prices from the dealerships but paid $935 for the install to a local 4x4 shop. I put RRO sliders and skids on my last couple of Jeeps but this time I figured best to leave it to the pros who have the right equipment. The WK2 sliders and fuel skids are heavy and time consuming. The tow hooks require removal of the lower part of the bumper so it was nice to drop it off and pick it up the next day all done right. I live in the SF Bay Area and the cost of living here is high so labor rates are up there too, but at least the money I saved on buying the parts went to help out a local small business.

Wxchaser 12-14-2012 04:06 PM

Ok guys, bad news. My local dealership I use for service says 34 of the rock rails are currently on back order. Mopar, JustforJeeps and Chrysler Parts Direct are all out of stock.

Just got off the phone with Chrysler Parts Direct (Danny), and he said there is at least a 5 week wait from time of order until delivery.

Price wise:

Mopar: ~ $850.00
JustforJeeps: ~$781.20
Chrysler Parts Direct: ~$677.04

This totally sucks!