Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f162/)
-   -   Tranny Issue (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f162/tranny-issue-51398.html)

radbushi 12-10-2012 04:41 PM

Tranny Issue

I got on my jeep hard this morning and shifting from 1st to 2nd It seemed to hit nutral for a second or two then engaged. Anyone else seen this. I have 5800 miles on it.
Thanks

A.V.GCSRT8 12-10-2012 04:48 PM

Re: Tranny Issue

My guess is you hit the rev limiter, mines done that when I got on it hard from a stop. Only on the 1-2 shift have I done it

radbushi 12-10-2012 04:55 PM

You are probably right, thanks for the input!

A.V.GCSRT8 12-10-2012 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by radbushi (Post 722623)
You are probably right, thanks for the input!

No prob, only other time I've had a delay in the shift is when the tranny is cold and I jumped on it

HAMMMERHEAD 12-10-2012 05:02 PM

Its funny you mention this Radbushi, mine has been doing this on occasion, but only in track mode. Mine seems to be doing it just around the 2nd to 3 second while its pulling in 1st gear on a hard launch. Im pretty sure its not the limiter as I have mine raised to 6600. It sounds a lot like the tranfer case chain is slipping just for a moment. I have read where others have this going on too.

A.V.GCSRT8 12-10-2012 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HAMMMERHEAD (Post 722628)
Its funny you mention this Radbushi, mine has been doing this on occasion, but only in track mode. Mine seems to be doing it just around the 2nd to 3 second while its pulling in 1st gear on a hard launch. Im pretty sure its not the limiter as I have mine raised to 6600. It sounds a lot like the tranfer case chain is slipping just for a moment. I have read where others have this going on too.

Are you talking about where the rpms start dropping between 3-4k when you launch hard and then it picks back up again?

radbushi 12-10-2012 05:09 PM

It was definly cold. Outside temp was about 45 and I had only gone about 3 blocks befor I got on it.

HAMMMERHEAD 12-10-2012 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A.V.GCSRT8 (Post 722632)
Are you talking about where the rpms start dropping between 3-4k when you launch hard and then it picks back up again?

Oh no. This is an actual slip. If feels a LOT like the chain is slipping. It feels fully mechanical, not like the safety nanny cutting the engine back from trying to power brake it on a launch. If its not a chain slipping, something is binding up for sure, but I have only noticed it in track mode. Doesnt track mode actually lock a percentage of power to the front?

A.V.GCSRT8 12-10-2012 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HAMMMERHEAD (Post 722637)
Oh no. This is an actual slip. If feels a LOT like the chain is slipping. It feels fully mechanical, not like the safety nanny cutting the engine back from trying to power brake it on a launch. If its not a chain slipping, something is binding up for sure, but I have only noticed it in track mode. Doesnt track mode actually lock a percentage of power to the front?

Oh ok, put it in auto stick with the traction control off and see if it still does it. I'm thinking it has something to do with that, maybe allowing more power to get to the front wheel at launch. I think we need a LSD for the front, so it at least will split the power to both axles instead of just one

radbushi 12-10-2012 05:42 PM

For me it felt like I pushed the shifter up into nutral. The engine kept reving then it was like I puled it back into drive. I didn't like the feeling of it at all.

HAMMMERHEAD 12-10-2012 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A.V.GCSRT8 (Post 722645)
Oh ok, put it in auto stick with the traction control off and see if it still does it. I'm thinking it has something to do with that, maybe allowing more power to get to the front wheel at launch. I think we need a LSD for the front, so it at least will split the power to both axles instead of just one

I had it in Track mode and set in Drive (my manual shift times are always slower) with TC turned off. I also held down on TC button for 5-10 seconds and the ESC turned off as well. I have had this truck for almost 6 months and it has never had near the power it now has with this cold air passing through. Its been fun for a couple days, but I could see breaking something with this much torque.

Quote:

Originally Posted by radbushi (Post 722662)
For me it felt like I pushed the shifter up into nutral. The engine kept reving then it was like I puled it back into drive. I didn't like the feeling of it at all.

Your description is spot on what I have felt. I might add I have experienced this berfore I put the Trinity tune in.