Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   Pleather (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/pleather-5148.html)

blackpepper 12-30-2009 01:27 PM

Pleather

I hate it. At 30k miles I already had a tear in my driver's side seat bottom left bolster. I showed the dealership and they willingly replaced it without an issue (except the tech did a half-ass job and I had to finish attaching it). It's all one piece and slips over the seat...

So fast forward to yesterday and the NEW seat bottom is torn even worse. The fake pleather vinyl can't take the abuse and 22k miles later I've had my second seat "fail" on me... pisses me off because now I'm in my extended warranty and it's not covered so I'll probably have to drop a couple bills on a new cover. The gash is a good inch or two and only stretches further every time I get in. I'm not that big I weigh 205lbs (6'2") and that sounds about average to me, so the fault lies in the pleather.

Anyone know a part number to the 2007 slate gray seat cover? God knows that I'm not going to pay the dealer.

/my pleatha-hatin'-rant

DJ BoNiOmArIo 12-30-2009 01:42 PM

Re: Pleather

you fat ass lol

LOL

I'm around that region too :) 6'3" 220 lbs

kevin06vino 12-30-2009 02:10 PM

I've got an 05, and the left side bolster on my seat bottom is torn as well. I've got 53k on mine, and it looks like garbage. I have a 00 Bonneville SSei, with the leather interior, 122k on the clock and the seats look like new, my Jeep on the other hand is not making me happy.

blackpepper 12-30-2009 02:31 PM

Well the part numbers are VIN# specific so be sure to do your research.

For a 2007 Slate Gray seat bottom cover for the driver's side, the p/n is: 1LA431D5AA.

From Just for Jeeps the cost of replacement is $278.10
From Mopar Parts America the cost to replace is $211.60

I guess I'll let it get a little worse until I can't deal with it but regardless it's bull shit that these seats are sub par it's just another problem that can be easily blamed by the bean-counters at Chrysler..

robpp 12-30-2009 02:35 PM

buying a new one from jeep will just fail again;
maybe you could get a katzkin or something thats BETTER than OEM

DJ BoNiOmArIo 12-30-2009 02:37 PM

yes those bean counters ... I thought it was only my seats that were like that, at least good to know my fat ass is not the one tearing it lol ...

I got a tear on the left side of the drivers seat where the electronic controls are right above that :(

SvenskaJeepGuy 12-30-2009 02:43 PM

i havent had any problems with mine and i have an 06 with 55k. im pretty big too 6'5 240lbs

blackpepper 12-30-2009 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robpp (Post 123282)
buying a new one from jeep will just fail again;
maybe you could get a katzkin or something thats BETTER than OEM

Good point.. I'll look into that and see but would it match the rest of the interior (minus the inferior quality)?

blackpepper 12-30-2009 03:03 PM

I found an installer for the katzkin and the price for a cover is actually cheaper than moparpartsamerica so I'm going to stop by and see what my options are. Thanks again for the tip, Rob.

Has anyone installed a seat cover? Do the seats need to be removed?

robpp 12-30-2009 03:09 PM

keep us in the loop on this ryano....

i would bet katzkin has an exact match!

Scottina06 12-30-2009 04:03 PM

you have to remove the seats to install covers. IJeep installed factory covers on his seats. i believe all you need are a special set of pliers for the rings that hold the covers on.

Hemi WK 12-30-2009 04:20 PM

That really sucks. I would check with local upholstery shops and see if they have or can get some material that matches and just replace the section/sections that are torn. I still can't get over how crappy the seats are in the WK's.