Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Performance Modifications (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f6/)
-   -   Straight Pipe + Resonator (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f6/straight-pipe-resonator-5149.html)

blackpepper 12-30-2009 01:36 PM

Straight Pipe + Resonator

The 5.7 Hemi has a beast of a muffler and a resonator in the back.. I replaced the muffler a long time ago with a 22" exhaust and sometimes (most of the time) I don't think that it's loud enough... sooooooooooo........

It seems that Scott has been preaching for a while to dump the muffler and just keep the resonator in the back, so I'm going to entertain myself today and get a straight pipe put in for $40 at the exhaust shop. Chances are that I might get tired of it so I'd just go back and put the old magnaflow muffler back on.. so meh.. what's money when it's that cheap.

I'll update you guys with tolerability, drone and sound and we'll see if it's my taste.

White WK Swagga 12-30-2009 03:40 PM

Re: Straight Pipe + Resonator

Yeah I was waiting for someone to bump the muffler and keep the reso. Good luck and post a vid when you can.

FlyinRyan 12-30-2009 03:41 PM

Oh boy. This is apples to oranges because I'm comparing a 4.7 WJ/5.7 WK but it should still apply.

It is going to be loud. I run a 4x14 Magnaflow (which is classified not as a muffler but as a resonator ) . It is loud. Ask the guys that were at the NJ/NY JG Meet 3 days ago. And thats with 3 cats. It doesn't bother me one bit, but it definitely is not "wife-friendly" or anything like that.

How large is the reso?

blackpepper 12-30-2009 03:42 PM

Thanks I'll keep you all posted but I can't make it today something came up.. I'm still going to try it but in the meantime I'm going to order a 18" (5x11x18) magnaflow incase I don't like it.. the 22" is great but the hemi could sound much better more often.

No idea how big the reso is..
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c3...5/DSC04053.jpg

White WK Swagga 12-30-2009 03:44 PM

Yeah Ryan your jeep sound nice when you drove off. IMO it was a perfect tone and loudness.

FlyinRyan 12-30-2009 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackPepper (Post 123334)
Thanks I'll keep you all posted but I can't make it today something came up.. I'm still going to try it but in the meantime I'm going to order a 18" (5x11x18) magnaflow incase I don't like it.. the 22" is great but the hemi could sound much better more often.

No idea how big the reso is..
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c3...5/DSC04053.jpg

Ryan,

How large is the piping? 2.5? The Hemi needs 3" piping AT LEAST to really breath. If I had one I'd go larger, but for performance use, a 3" single is a must. Again, apples to oranges, but I have significant track proven gains from going to a performance 2.5" to 3" exhaust from the Y back on my 4.7.

I'd like to hear the answer to the above question first, and then I'll chime in with more insight. Assuming you want it of course. :D

blackpepper 12-30-2009 03:53 PM

Hell yes your insight is valuable to me, the more opinions the better. The HEMI comes with 2.75" piping, will the extra .25" help out?

Scottina06 12-30-2009 03:55 PM

FRankie and I have two small resonators on our jeeps and they sound very, very similar. Even though he has a 5.7 hemi and mine is a 4.7 gen 2 stroked to 5.7....the sound is very similar. Listen to his vids to get an idea. You should be very close becaause your resonator looks pretty large....but you have 2.75" piping compared to our 3"

FlyinRyan 12-30-2009 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackPepper (Post 123347)
Hell yes your insight is valuable to me, the more opinions the better. The HEMI comes with 2.75" piping, will the extra .25" help out?

Glad to help.

If money isn't an issue then yeah, I'd go with 3" piping or larger. I am a big fan of the Magnaflow round resonators/mufflers. IMO they sound alot better than the ovals- I used to run a 5x8x18 oval.

chefalan23 01-03-2010 09:41 PM

i think you're gonna dig it. i have a 4x14 magnaflow with no reso and its loud and deep sounding. mine drones pretty bad, but i think its more to do with the side exit setup

BenReardon 01-04-2010 09:32 AM

SO, has anyone actually done the muffler delete on a HEMI? I would be interested to see what is sounds like with a straight pipe and just the resonator. Thanks

chefalan23 01-04-2010 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenReardon (Post 125359)
SO, has anyone actually done the muffler delete on a HEMI? I would be interested to see what is sounds like with a straight pipe and just the resonator. Thanks

it probably sounds a lot like my magnaflow resonator with no muffler