Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee SRT - WK2 (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f97/)
-   -   The new Sport SUV Value Leader: The ML550 (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f97/the-new-sport-suv-value-leader-the-ml550-51490.html)

Dave DC 12-12-2012 12:58 PM

The new Sport SUV Value Leader: The ML550
 
Well isn't this shameful:

The 2013 ML550 was just tested by C&D to a 13.4 @106, 0-60 in 4.9, .85g. Its starting price? $59,705 with destination. Looking at the benz site, that's hardly a stripper model and seems like it would atleast match the acceleration (perhaps the 19" wheels needed for the skidpad grip) that C&D got.
2012 Mercedes-Benz ML550 4MATIC Instrumented Test – Reviews – Car and Driver


For reference, the 2012 SRT8 GC was most recently tested by C&D to a 13.7 @ 103 (yes I know they are good for low 13s, much as the benz but it seems the benz has a MPH advantage), 0-60 in 5.0, and .87g. The 2013 SRT8 starts at $60,295.


Atleast the SRT brakes better and handles a touch better but the fact that a Benz equals the acceleration AND the price of the SRT pretty much invalidates the Jeep's price for performance/ segment value leader argument. The Benz of course has better gas mileage, snob appeal, dealer service etc.

I'd hope this would spurn pricing correction by Jeep but I think we know that's QUITE a stretch. Let's hope the 8 speed moves the Jeep into the 1/4 mile territory it should have been at release - 12.8s or better.

Good effort to the Daimler boys. WAKE UP JEEP. (I say this as someone likely to buy a '14 WK2 not as a WK1 fanboy)

P-Dawger 12-12-2012 01:10 PM

Re: The new Sport SUV Value Leader: The ML550
 
Add to that - underneath...they are essentially the same vehicle...the only thing that is performance oriented about the 2012 GC SRT8 is the price...

They need a way to get more power out of their drivetrains and get rid of the weight - or Jeep will soon be but a dot in the overweight, underperforming, and way overpriced for what you get mirror.

When Land Rover starts to focus on shedding weight to the tune of 800lbs out of the Rangie line-up...other sport ute manufacturers should take notice. The redesigned Ranger Rover comes in at around 0-60 in 4.5 seconds.

They(Lnd Rover) don't even tought performance or a racing heritage...but when you sing it from the tallest mountain tops as SRT does over and over and over - you need to deliver.

Wake up Ralph.

johnpassantino1 12-12-2012 01:48 PM

Re: The new Sport SUV Value Leader: The ML550
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave DC (Post 723614)
Well isn't this shameful:

The 2013 ML550 was just tested by C&D to a 13.4 @106, 0-60 in 4.9, .85g. Its starting price? $59,705 with destination. Looking at the benz site, that's hardly a stripper model and seems like it would atleast match the acceleration (perhaps the 19" wheels needed for the skidpad grip) that C&D got.
2012 Mercedes-Benz ML550 4MATIC Instrumented Test Reviews Car and Driver


For reference, the 2012 SRT8 GC was most recently tested by C&D to a 13.7 @ 103 (yes I know they are good for low 13s, much as the benz but it seems the benz has a MPH advantage), 0-60 in 5.0, and .87g. The 2013 SRT8 starts at $60,295.


Atleast the SRT brakes better and handles a touch better but the fact that a Benz equals the acceleration AND the price of the SRT pretty much invalidates the Jeep's price for performance/ segment value leader argument. The Benz of course has better gas mileage, snob appeal, dealer service etc.

I'd hope this would spurn pricing correction by Jeep but I think we know that's QUITE a stretch. Let's hope the 8 speed moves the Jeep into the 1/4 mile territory it should have been at release - 12.8s or better.

Good effort to the Daimler boys. WAKE UP JEEP. (I say this as someone likely to buy a '14 WK2 not as a WK1 fanboy)

For what it's worth their test model was a $72,950. The base model would not come anywhere close to handling as well since the test model had 2 handling packages on it. But I know people want to put the Jeep down and I have come to expect that.

HAMMMERHEAD 12-12-2012 04:16 PM

Re: The new Sport SUV Value Leader: The ML550
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnpassantino1 (Post 723642)
For what it's worth their test model was a $72,950. The base model would not come anywhere close to handling as well since the test model had 2 handling packages on it. But I know people want to put the Jeep down and I have come to expect that.


Isnt it funny how no one ever catches that? You can add 15-20K in options on a BMW or Merc SUV just to get even with the SRT. Although, I dont know where a new one could be bought, but I dont think it would be close to where you can buy an '13 SRT right now.



I like the M550, M63 and the GL line, but dang you're gonna take a bath in the first 3 years on them. Most Mercedes models depreciate almost as fast as the Range Rover line.

Dave DC 12-12-2012 04:24 PM

Re: The new Sport SUV Value Leader: The ML550
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnpassantino1 (Post 723642)
For what it's worth their test model was a $72,950. The base model would not come anywhere close to handling as well since the test model had 2 handling packages on it. But I know people want to put the Jeep down and I have come to expect that.

I did try to take that into account in my original post though I didn't see the aforementioned handling packages on Benz's website.


Regardless, the two handling packages with the 20" wheels, adds $5k to the price not $20k (per the article). That they are so close in terms of price equates to a massive pricing fail on SRT/Jeeps part.

I am a die hard Jeep enthusiast (had a modded 5.9l and a WK1) and I would have a very hard time justifying picking the Jeep over the Benz given the price and performance match. I hope that calculation changes convincingly with the 2014.

SRTsteve 12-12-2012 04:33 PM

Re: The new Sport SUV Value Leader: The ML550
 
If it only added 5k to the price where is the other 8k at? Tested price $72,950 - Base price $59,705 = $13,245.........

SRTsteve 12-12-2012 04:35 PM

Re: The new Sport SUV Value Leader: The ML550
 
Oh and $72,950 is pre-taxes im sure add taxes to that and you'll end up paying closer to 80k

HAMMMERHEAD 12-12-2012 04:55 PM

Re: The new Sport SUV Value Leader: The ML550
 
I just built one for 72.3K The handling packages, blind spot mess, etc, etc was towards the end. I still cant figure out if this included ventilated front seats.....surely it does. There were more options like an additional 2.3K for a premium 20" wheel above the standard 20" and there was a air ride suspension option with two speed t-Case I left off. You could easily option this thing out near 80K.

ChrisWk 12-12-2012 05:04 PM

Re: The new Sport SUV Value Leader: The ML550
 
My dad got a 2013 ML 350 last month it is very nice it is the Auburn Brown color with 20 inch wheels.

Dave DC 12-12-2012 05:20 PM

Re: The new Sport SUV Value Leader: The ML550
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by SRTsteve (Post 723716)
If it only added 5k to the price where is the other 8k at? Tested price $72,950 - Base price $59,705 = $13,245.........

Per the article:

"The 2012 ML550 we tested had a base price of $58,465 ........The Dynamic Handling bundle was packed in, too, bringing active cruise control, adaptive damping with Comfort and Sport modes, air suspension (which lowers ride height at freeway speeds and can raise it three inches for off-pavement operation), Active Curve Control (with hydraulic actuators to reduce body roll during cornering), and 20-inch AMG-styled wheels ($5150). "


So for ~$65k you would have performance equal to the tested vehicle, and to a ~$61k SRT8 .


If acceleration parity is your only performance goal then the price is pretty much equal.

Dave DC 12-12-2012 05:24 PM

Re: The new Sport SUV Value Leader: The ML550
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by SRTsteve (Post 723718)
Oh and $72,950 is pre-taxes im sure add taxes to that and you'll end up paying closer to 80k

Im quite certain you still pay taxes on a WK2 SRT8.

The point is that from a performance standpoint, you can get roughly equal (or better per the MPH) performance for roughly equal the price while getting a vehicle from a premium brand with all that entails (and better MPG).

Sure it may have fewer options but the base ML550 is no stripper.

kbench55 12-12-2012 05:36 PM

Re: The new Sport SUV Value Leader: The ML550
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave DC (Post 723712)
I did try to take that into account in my original post though I didn't see the aforementioned handling packages on Benz's website.


Regardless, the two handling packages with the 20" wheels, adds $5k to the price not $20k (per the article). That they are so close in terms of price equates to a massive pricing fail on SRT/Jeeps part.

I am a die hard Jeep enthusiast (had a modded 5.9l and a WK1) and I would have a very hard time justifying picking the Jeep over the Benz given the price and performance match. I hope that calculation changes convincingly with the 2014.

I don't understand why people have to keep bringing up the price issue. You don't like the price..............don't buy it. We get it already, some people will not pay that price for a jeep but give it a rest already! I would question how die hard you really are if you want to start threads like this.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:19 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community