Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/)
-   -   Car woes (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/car-woes-51492.html)

HEBEGB 12-12-2012 01:14 PM

Car woes

Hi All,

Ive owned a Grand Cherokee overland 4.7 h.o LPG conv about 4 months, absolutely love the car and love driving it.

Recently i was out and the battery seemed to struggle starting but did start, i went home , took the car out again next day and again the battery started like it was nearly dead, the car would not start the following day. I assumed the battery was naf so bought a new one, charged it to make sure it was 100% and put it in the car. Still would not turn over at all, dash light wearnt dimming or anything and i know the battery is 100% and is the right battery. It is like the car is not in park and therefore will not start or similar. any ideas, i have 100 worth of fuel in and want to drive it:(

Regards Gareth

TheStreet16 12-12-2012 01:28 PM

Re: Car woes

Have you run a code check?

HEBEGB 12-12-2012 01:32 PM

Hi , no i do not have the ability to do that. Im not a mechanic and the car is stuck on my drive. I understand the basics but do not have any equiptment for that

TheStreet16 12-12-2012 01:38 PM

You don't need any equipment. Put the key in the ignition. Turn it forward one click till the instrument panel lights up then turn it back. Repeat a total of three times. After the third time, the odometer will either say "done" or throw a code out.

HEBEGB 12-12-2012 01:47 PM

ok cool, thank you very much i will try that out shortly and see what comes up. thanks

HEBEGB 12-12-2012 01:50 PM

i have done that and " done " shows up. gareth

Frango100 12-12-2012 04:12 PM

So when you try to start it, does the starter motor turn over, or do you hear anything at all?
There is a fuse and relay panel under the hood, just next to the battery. In there is a starter relay. Open the lid of the panel and let someone help you. When you try to start, let the other person feel with a finger on the starter relay if it clicks.
If not, you could swap that relay with an other one of the same size. You could also try to start with the gear lever in N. If it does click, but the starter doesn't turn over, or the starter motor is the culprit, or there is corrosion on the starter motor wire connections.

JRK5892 12-12-2012 06:10 PM

i would start simple, sounds to me like a poor ground or pour conection on your battery terminals, have you tried to clean them up really nice?

Frango100 12-12-2012 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRK5892 (Post 723753)
i would start simple, sounds to me like a poor ground or pour conection on your battery terminals, have you tried to clean them up really nice?

Would not expect the battery terminals, because the battery was just changed and the instrument lights don't dim when trying to start. A ground (from the starter motor) could be the problem.