Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Judging distances (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/judging-distances-51543.html)

Smooth1 12-13-2012 06:32 PM

Judging distances

First, let me start with, I still love this WK2. But I have noticed that it's alot tougher to judge where the wheels are and the edges of the vehicle when I'm pulling in and out of parking stalls. Where I think the parking stall dividers are is always off. And just for fun, I put a dime 18 inches from the edge of my driveway, and I can park the Lexus IS 350, the Jetta, and two of my hot rods right on it with no trouble at all. I tried to hit that dime so many times with the Cherokee, I just gave up! I guessed right once, but I couldn't repeat it. So, in humility and frustration, I post this to ask, WTF am I doing wrong? Anyone else fighting with this? Anyone got it figured out?

Aiyer 12-13-2012 06:43 PM

Re: Judging distances

When the Jeep was new, I felt it was huge! I am coming from a 98 Jeep GC and a Boxster which were tiny in comparison. After a month or so... I am comfortable with the new Jeep and do not see any issues parking or afraid of hitting something. I did raise my seat a bit higher than usual and put the seat back a bit up too initially, but it is back to my normal comfortable position.

ColdCase 12-13-2012 06:51 PM

The rear view camera and park assist makes it easy to park in a smaller space (backing in). Otherwise the lack of visibility can be daunting.

steveo 12-13-2012 07:58 PM

No issues here. Had practice in my previous winter ride (07 Expedition) Talk about a moose to park. The jeeps a cinch.

eibyer 12-14-2012 10:55 AM

3 of 5 times I'm parked crooked! 11K miles into it and still getting adjusted to the size, my old Trooper was all windows... sigh.

glassmtn 12-14-2012 10:58 AM

When I had a 1981 Ford F250 4x4, I was so used to it that I could park that much easier than my smaller Toyota Camry or Subaru Outback. I had my mirrors adusted perfectly on the Ford, and I would become quite cross if anyone touched the passenger side mirror.

eric.

Jim_in_PA 12-14-2012 11:38 AM

Due to the visibility, it did take a few "outings" to get the feel for the body boundaries, but I've not had any problem with parking or other operations where knowing the corners was necessary. And the back-up camera really does help given the reduced rear visibility in my Summit from it's predecessor, a Highlander Hybrid Limited.

Tybalt39 12-14-2012 11:49 AM

I was leery at first, coming from sedans. It seems the end of my visible area at the front corners of the vehicle is actually the end of the vehicle. Therefore, (while I am still a bit hesitant) I can generally turn into any standard spot between two vehicles (if they aren't both riding the divider). I'm still getting used to how close I can park the front of the vehicle to a wall/obstacle (much closer than I would have thought).

AAAA 12-14-2012 05:51 PM

I've driven into the curb way too many times.

Smooth1 12-14-2012 07:55 PM

Yeah, don't get me wrong, I'm functional in getting in and out of parking stalls, what I'm more talking about is as you pull in and stop, turn off the truck and think where you are in that space, then get out and actually look at where you in fact are, and they are never the same. It just seems no matter how far over I think I am, towards the driver side, I'm not. And crooked to boot! I never parked so badly before!
And I see alot of other WK2's in parking stalls that look just like mine. So I know I'm not the only one. I almost wish for those windows down by the foot wells like they have in commercial trucks. LOL!! Or maybe I need to get a 5 screen multi feed angle camera system like they have on Land Rovers. Maybe that's why they have them too!

FAUEE 12-14-2012 08:19 PM

Land Rovers actually tend to have very good visibility. Their styling for a long time has been heavy on windows and glass, so you can actually see out of the vehicle.

The Jeep's visibility, while not great, is sadly above average. Check out the Hummer H3 or an Infiniti FX35 if you want to see horrible visibility out of the vehicle.

I'm usually pretty good with parking, the auto down mirrors in reverse and backup camera work great in conjunction for getting the Jeep into a good spot. My previous SUV wasn't quite as wide as the Jeep, and that's the part I tend to have issues with, being too close on one side or the other.

It also doesn't help I'm hyper paranoid about parking too close to other cars and them giving me a door ding or dent.

GCOverland 12-14-2012 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smooth1 (Post 724681)
Or maybe I need to get a 5 screen multi feed angle camera system like they have on Land Rovers. Maybe that's why they have them too!

360 degree camera and auto park - both is going to be available in the future on the WK2.:thumbsup: