Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   WK Front and Rear Differential Fluid Change (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/wk-front-and-rear-differential-fluid-change-517.html)

ahamay115 06-12-2009 04:47 PM

WK Front and Rear Differential Fluid Change

I did a quick search and didn't find anything but I am nearing the 37xxx mile mark and still have not changed the fluids in my differentials that was due at 30k miles. I was wondering how important you guys think this is... I know I need to do it, but being that it is this far past the 30k miles, should it be a pressing issue?? Also if anyone has a link or advice for everything needed to do the job, I'd greatly appreciate it! I know there has been some discussion on buying the rip off fluid from the dealership or the fluid with the additive already in it... any opinions/suggestions would be greatly welcomed!!

Thanks guys!!

-Chris

LTrainGC 06-12-2009 05:06 PM

Re: WK Front and Rear Differential Fluid Change

Do it.

We need to know what drivetrain do you have?

ahamay115 06-12-2009 05:13 PM

sorry...forgot that part...haven't fully made the transition over here yet!!!

I've got an 06 overland...got the qd2...and all of that!!

LTrainGC 06-12-2009 05:49 PM

Wow I just typed out a long post about what you need and how I changed mine and I accidentally hit back and I coldn't recover text.... that is a bummer. I will come back tonight and re do it

ahamay115 06-12-2009 06:11 PM

thanks for the effort!!! I'll check back later!!

Thanks again!

-Chris

DirtyBlackJeepSRT 06-12-2009 06:14 PM

What's your location? I know a couple people that will do it for cheaper than the dealer.

dreamer1213 06-13-2009 07:29 AM

Jeep actually recommends to change the fluid in the diffs every 12K miles.

I did mine on my 02 Overland with Quadra-Drive by myself, all for about $120, where if they dealer did it, it would have been $600 for the diffs and transfer case...

All depends on if you want to do it yourself...or let someone else do it...

mjl2610 06-13-2009 11:22 AM

My moms wj has 64k miles and never had the diff and tcase fluids changed. Anyone in the chicago area have a good, cheap service shop they use to get the service done that wont break the bank?

ahamay115 06-13-2009 03:23 PM

I'm located in erie, pa.... if you know anyone in the area I'd appreciate it!! I don't mind doing the work myself...its just a matter of finding enough time to get it all done!!

tman4024 06-13-2009 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LTrainGC (Post 10852)
Wow I just typed out a long post about what you need and how I changed mine and I accidentally hit back and I coldn't recover text.... that is a bummer. I will come back tonight and re do it

hit control z simultaneously, it'll undo the last action. It's too late now, but just a note for the future :)

dreamer1213 06-13-2009 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ahamay115 (Post 11250)
I'm located in erie, pa.... if you know anyone in the area I'd appreciate it!! I don't mind doing the work myself...its just a matter of finding enough time to get it all done!!

Doing it yourself with be the most cost effective way to go....but you do need a good day, well, not a whole day...to get it done right the first time...

LTrainGC 06-13-2009 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tman4024 (Post 11252)
hit control z simultaneously, it'll undo the last action. It's too late now, but just a note for the future :)

That is what I usually do when I accidentally hit back or something like that but it didn't work this time :(