Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Suspension/Driveline/Brakes/Wheels/Tires (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f109/)
-   -   WK2: time for new tires (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f109/wk2-time-for-new-tires-51725.html)

Robey5 12-17-2012 10:26 AM

WK2: time for new tires

Hello all:

Today - I am going to cross 43k miles on the odo; I think that I am not going to be able to put off a tire purchase much longer. The Michelin Latitude set are going to need to be retired very soon.

It is OK, because I think that I can get a better tire for this truck: the Michelin Latitudes don't do much for this truck in rain or snow.

My driving habits are about 98% on road, towing occasionally, some times more being pulled than others. I would like a tire that is better in the inclement weather (rain, slush and snow) to get a more "sure footed" performance out of this truck.

Any suggestions out there? I have the 18's - and I would like to get some suggestions based on experiences here.

kkreit01 12-17-2012 11:11 AM

Re: WK2: time for new tires

Do you want AT or HT? There are many good choices: Michelin LTX MS2, Nitto Crosstek, Goodyear Silent Armor, BFG Rugged Terrain, Firestone Destination LE2, Firestone Destination AT, Michelin LTX AT2, Toyo AT, Cooper AT3, etc. Pick the best one you can afford, with the characteristics you want.

Robey5 12-17-2012 11:23 AM

I think that AT is a little more fitting to my driving habits. I had a set of Michelin LTX on a past jeep, and they seemed pretty good. However I think that comparing a XJ to my WK2 is comparing apples to pears.

I can hit up the tirerack site with the best of 'em, I am curious if there are any forum members out there that can say they've had a good experience in a replacement set of tires given typical driving conditions.

77rednecktruck 12-17-2012 11:26 AM

I got the BFG Rugged Terrains in the stock 18" size and am very pleased.

Danco 12-17-2012 11:46 AM

I just put on ltx ms2 tires (have about 1,000 mi) and love them. Much better in the rain. Smoother ride on the highway. Better cornering. Very quiet. Haven't seen snow yet. I have the 20s. I highly recommend them if you do not do heavy off roading.

Yadkin 12-17-2012 12:00 PM

I just replaced the tires on my Exploder with General Grabbers. I had been buying the Michelin OEM for it but after three sets I figured it was time to try something new. The Generals were rated high on Tire Rack and they were also inexpensive and available locally. I haven't driven them in the snow but my daughter says that they are very smooth and quiet on the highway.

AAAA 12-17-2012 05:02 PM

I have about 17,000 miles on the LTX M/S 2's. I'm impressed with them. Haven't seen much snow since I bought them though. Had one plugged last week... roofing nail between the ribs... didn't even loose air! In all fairness I do see a lot of Silent Armors around town and people who have them like them.

binford6100 12-23-2012 09:29 AM

I just replaced the Latitudes with LTX MS/2 as well. We just had our first substantial snowfall here in WI and the MS/2 performed flawlessly in the adverse road conditions. I'm much happier with these than I was with the Latitudes. BTW, my Laredo X came with 18" wheels and I stayed with them as I prefer the look over the 20". Just personal preference, good/bad or otherwise.

Like the orher posters, I found the MS/2 to be very quiet and smooth with excellent on-road manners.

-Ken

Chi-One 12-30-2012 08:39 PM

I'm using GY Silent Armors for my winter tire and I'm very pleased with their snow performance.

flyin_dutchman 12-31-2012 01:39 PM

My WK2 came stock with Latitudes. I finally wore them out and replaced them with Cooper Discoverer H/T Plus 265/60/18s. I have put around 300 miles on them and think they are great tires. Good wet/snow performance & no drifting or wandering occurring at all. Just my vote....