Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/)
-   -   My 2005 Jeep Grd Cherokee needs help (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/my-2005-jeep-grd-cherokee-needs-help-51736.html)

sled 12-17-2012 03:23 PM

My 2005 Jeep Grd Cherokee needs help

I have a 2005 Jeep Grd Cherokee Limited, with the 5.7 Hemi, Last night I was driving at night, All of a sudden all the dash lights started blinking on and off, the gas gauge went to empty and back up, the headlight went out and back on, and the service electric brake sys stayed on, then went out. A few times all the dash lights did this, the car never stopped running, the lights just started flashing and the headlights went out, this was very dangerous, Thank God I had a place to pull over, I turned the car off and started it again, and everything was back to normal, I drove home the next day and the dash was fine, like nothing ever happened. The next day it did it once or twice, but went back to normal on its own, was there a recall for this problem ? or are there any Jeep Mechanics out there who have serviced this problem, or has any one else came across this problem? I need help, I don't want to go to the Jeep dealer and get charges 1000's and it not even be the problem, Please help, Thank You Sled

robpp 12-17-2012 03:27 PM

It's either your multi function stalk or ign switch. Both are very popular. Both are easy to fix. Simple search here should find the details.

sled 12-17-2012 03:47 PM

Re: My 2005 Jeep Grd Cherokee needs help

Thanks Robpp.where is the multi function stalk located ? and whats its purpose ? and do you know around what these two cost, ign switch or the multi function stalk? thanks again

ChrisWk 12-17-2012 04:29 PM

Could be the battery getting low, the low battery does weird things. Get a volt meter check the volts.

Chriswk

tfranzone 12-17-2012 04:42 PM

I would say first step check the battery... could need a new one as simple as that.. if not, move on to the multifunction stalk.. its what controls your winsdshield wipers..etc.. a new one is like 80 bucks too if that were the case.

macmac 12-18-2012 10:07 PM

check that battery

Chaoul1 12-18-2012 10:38 PM

It's your Multi Function Switch aka your Light switch Stalk. Replace it asap!!!!!!! It's dangerous!

robpp 02-12-2013 03:58 PM

tried to PM you but it says you have chosen not to accept PMs

____________________________________________here is my response:

i am no mechanic just an EX WK owner and one of the founders of this forum.

the symptoms you describe are very common for issues with either the stalk or the ign switch.

am I 100% positive thats your issue .....no i cannot be. I am saying that if you google or search on your symptoms you will see that MANY have fixed their issues with one of those.

there are 4 sunroof drains; 2 run down A pillar. other 2 nthe B pilar. also very common that they leak....not very common that the leak causes all the lights to flash. could it happen....sounds logical just not very common.

the switch and the stalk are less than 50 bux each from an online dealer;

i would suspect your trip to the dealer to blow out the drains cost way more than BOTH parts.

i understand your predicament but I cant diagnose anything from here.

GL

brentwoodkris 02-13-2013 02:43 PM

As an update, my multifunction stalk switch was more like $110 b/c of the auto headlights and foglights options. The ignition switch is standard on all WK's though and was right around $50. There are about 100x threads on this same topic. I had the EXACT same issue and the MF stalk switch cured it and it's never come back in 6+ months after getting it daily if not multiple times per drive. Scared the piss out of me. Install was a breeze and took 10 minutes with the right sized torx wrenches that I picked up at HF for like $10.