Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/)
-   -   60K Mile Scheduled Maintenance coming up, have a few questions.. (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/60k-mile-scheduled-maintenance-coming-up-have-a-few-questions-51744.html)

Triplecrown 12-17-2012 09:02 PM

60K Mile Scheduled Maintenance coming up, have a few questions..

My 2006 WK is coming up on 60K (currently at around 58,200 'ish). Here is what I plan on doing.

1) Engine oil/filter change
2) Spark plug replacement
3) Front/Rear differential fluid replacement
4) Transfer case fluid replacement
5) PCV valve replacement
6) Engine coolant drain/replace w/HOAT
7) New sway links and Sway bushings

So my question(s) are:

- What brand and type of plugs do you recommend? I'm trying to decide from Champion coppers or NGK

- Any tips on breaking loose the bolts that hold on the sway bushing brackets? These do not look like they're going to come off without a battle.

-I'm replacing the sway bushings/links because the symptoms I'm having match up to them needing replacement plus the parts are relatively inexpensive. Is there any way to 'confirm' they need replacement before I buy the parts and start removing and replacing? I have another thread about the signs that are leading me to think they're bad.

-Also, any coolant replacement tips are appreciated! I'd like to get as much as the old coolant out as possible. The coolant in there now looks great! But I'll feel better knowing it has been changed, since I just bought this WK

Any other tips, input or advice as far as the 60K mile service is welcome!

Thanks in advance for taking the time to read this!

dmsfun 12-18-2012 02:57 PM

Re: 60K Mile Scheduled Maintenance coming up, have a few questions..

Coolant is good for 100k. Definitely get new endlinks, you have to remove them to see the wear on the mounting holes. Since you are replacing bushings too, this is the best time to put in front and rear SRT sways. Those alone are the best upgrade there is for the WK, gets rid of the bouncy, wallowing, and ride and handling is much better.

Drew 12-19-2012 10:19 AM

IMHO add these to your list as well.
-trans fluid and filter
-air filter
-serp belt. I did the tensioner pulley assembly to, but mainly because I could hear bearing noise in the idler.

Triplecrown 12-19-2012 12:00 PM

Thanks Drew! I meant to list the air filter and serp belt. I didn't know the trans fluid/filter were to be changed at 60K for the 3.7L W Quadra I.

beepbeepimajeep 12-20-2012 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drew (Post 726516)
IMHO add these to your list as well.
-trans fluid and filter
-air filter
-serp belt. I did the tensioner pulley assembly to, but mainly because I could hear bearing noise in the idler.

Is the tensioner pulley assembly hard to do?

Is the bearing noise the higher pitch occasional squealing?

Drew 12-20-2012 11:49 PM

60k max for the trans, especially the first service. Dont be alarmed at the amount of assembly trash you find in the pan at the first change. I do mine at 50k intervals just to make it simple to remember....lol.

My bearing noise on the idler was more of a loud dry metal on metal noise. Sounded like an old roller skate wheel.
Yes, easy to change. One bolt for the whole assembly once the belt is off.
I'm kind of thinking that I may add the tensioner to my list of items at every belt change/60k service. It's a pretty cheap part.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Triplecrown 12-25-2012 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drew (Post 727320)
60k max for the trans, especially the first service. Dont be alarmed at the amount of assembly trash you find in the pan at the first change. I do mine at 50k intervals just to make it simple to remember....lol.

My bearing noise on the idler was more of a loud dry metal on metal noise. Sounded like an old roller skate wheel.
Yes, easy to change. One bolt for the whole assembly once the belt is off.
I'm kind of thinking that I may add the tensioner to my list of items at every belt change/60k service. It's a pretty cheap part.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How often should the trans filter/fluid be changed in the 3.7 w/ 4x4?
I bought my wk from the dealership last month, but am planning on doing more than just the 60K service, since I don't have too much maintenance history. Car fax was great and had some history though.

Drew 12-26-2012 09:26 AM

60k/100k depending on your maintenance schedule for the Nag1 tranny. Most people fall into the 60k type of driving. IMHO 100k on trans fluid is just plain silly....
I do mine at 50k. If I had the rfe trans behind the 4.7/5.7 I'd do it every 30k.
It's amazing how so many drivers spend so much money on synthetic oils and such for the motor but neglect the trans.

Duff Daddy 12-27-2012 09:17 PM

RFE has 2 filters btw the vb and screw on vb is 30k the screw on is 60, and dont forget about axle fluids and t-case, and depending on the setup you may need a limited slip additive.

Walt 01-20-2013 07:28 PM

Consider serpentine belt (scheduled replacement = 60K miles) and EGR valve at same time.
Maybe pull MAP sensor and clean diaphragm (or just change out).