Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/)
-   -   Oil sending unit. (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/oil-sending-unit-51775.html)

Randomhero180 12-18-2012 06:45 PM

Oil sending unit.

1 Attachment(s)
Just replaced my oil sending unit now at idle my oil pressure is very low.

Is this normal?

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

Frango100 12-19-2012 12:34 PM

Re: Oil sending unit.

No, that is not normal, even the low oil pressure light is on. If you accelerate, does the pressure rise to normal values?
For what reason did you replace the oil sending unit? It could be that the new unit is faulty or the wiring is not making good contact.
Worst case could be a real low oil pressure.

Randomhero180 12-19-2012 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frango100 (Post 726560)
No, that is not normal, even the low oil pressure light is on. If you accelerate, does the pressure rise to normal values?
For what reason did you replace the oil sending unit? It could be that the new unit is faulty or the wiring is not making good contact.
Worst case could be a real low oil pressure.

The low oil light pressure light is not on in the picture . Unless I am missing something...

Yes the values are normal once I accelerate.

I replaced the oil sending unit because the oil pressure was dropping to zero when idling and the jeep dealer ship and another garage both confirmed it was the sending unit and that the wiring is ok.

What, if any, is the danger driving with this issue?

Frango100 12-19-2012 04:25 PM

I think i've looked too quickly and mistakingly called the oil pressure symbol as the low pressure light:o.
I would check the oil pressure with an external gauge, to be sure that the indicated pressure is the real figure. It could be a problem with the oil pump for example.
Which engine does your jeep have, the 4.0 or 4.7? I heard before from the 4.0 that problems with the crankshaft bearings could lead to low oil pressure conditions. This ofcourse would be more visible with low rpm, when the capacity of the oilpump is low as well.

Randomhero180 12-19-2012 04:41 PM

I have 4.0l.

I am hoping it is not crankshaft bearing or oil pump.

My research lead me to a lot of people saying not to but the oil sending unit from a place like autozone because they rarely work. And to go with oem instead.

Could it be that simple? I did purchase mine through autozone.

Trav1s 12-19-2012 04:50 PM

I replaced the sensor on my 4.7 with a sensor from Napa. In all of my reading I did not find anything picky about aftermarket oil pressure sensors...

I think you will be fine.