Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   K&N Air filter....is it worth it for my WK 06, 3.7? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/k-and-n-air-filter-is-it-worth-it-for-my-wk-06-3-7-a-51817.html)

Triplecrown 12-19-2012 01:52 PM

K&N Air filter....is it worth it for my WK 06, 3.7?

What's so special about the K&N air filter? Is it worth the money? Can it boost my fuel economy? Performance?

What's your take on the K&N air filter. I've heard so many things but it's hard to come off $50 for a air filter without knowing a little more.

Thanks friends!
-Tom

lboggs24 12-19-2012 06:59 PM

Re: K&N Air filter....is it worth it for my WK 06, 3.7?

Depends on how long you plan on having your Jeep. The big advantage of the K&N filter is that you'll never have to buy another air filter. So if you have it a while it more than pays for itself. You never have to replace it, only "recharge" it when it gets too dirty. All you have to do is wash it and spray new oil on it. The oil is like 5 bucks, and it lasts for several recharges. If there are fuel economy/performance boosts, it'd be rather minimal. It's also a higher quality filter than your normal Fram types. So to sum it up, if you'll have your jeep for another 50k miles or so, it'd be worth it in my opinion.

jefe 12-19-2012 07:07 PM

X2. It is a better quality filter on top of the fact its cleanable.

NJwk5.7 12-19-2012 07:23 PM

how does it compare to the AFE pro guard 7? $75

dmsfun 12-19-2012 08:25 PM

Waste of money, just buy a stock panel filter for 10 bucks, They filter better than K and N, which have much larger pore sizes, allowing larger particulates into the combustion chamber. Ive analyzed both under the microscope (I am a microscope distributor, optical to atomic resolution) Marketing BS is why most people buy them.

Drew 12-20-2012 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmsfun (Post 726760)
Waste of money, just buy a stock panel filter for 10 bucks, They filter better than K and N, which have much larger pore sizes, allowing larger particulates into the combustion chamber. Ive analyzed both under the microscope (I am a microscope distributor, optical to atomic resolution) Marketing BS is why most people buy them.

+1 K&N filters are known for allowing quite a bit of debris to pass through the filter.
Also, remember that the filter for the 3.7 and 4.7 are the same. So if the OEM filter will flow enough air for the 4.7 it should have not problems handling air for the 3.7

tfranzone 12-20-2012 01:09 PM

I purchased one veryl lightly used.. and cleaned and oiled for only $15. I have yet to put it in my 08 4.7L due to debates on if it will gunk stuff up letting more in.. (this I'm not sure of).. i will eventually throw it in most likely but I have no idea if it really makes a difference since I havent used it yet.
I figured though for $15 bucks.. it was a good buy.. I probably wouldnt pay 50 for one though.

tom58 12-20-2012 03:14 PM

my engine sounds better with the k+n filter

jefe 12-20-2012 09:25 PM

My engine runs better with the K&N stickers I put on.

Milous 12-20-2012 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmsfun (Post 726760)

+1. More air = more dirt, simple as that.

soontobesrt 12-21-2012 02:51 PM

It does what it says. Its high flow and lets more air in so it will net you a few horsepower for sure. As far as filtration and allowing more dirt in I do not know. It seems fair to say it will not filter as well but you have to remember the type of particles were talking about are microscopic as mentioned above so think about what it really means . . . not much.

So is it worth it? It all really depends how much a few ponies matter to you for the price. At the end its a 5klb V6 Jeep, its not the SRT8. But we all mod for our own reasons.

LandEagle 12-21-2012 02:57 PM

KN filtered smells different.