Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Suspension/Driveline/Brakes/Wheels/Tires (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f109/)
-   -   WK front ELSD on WK2? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f109/wk-front-elsd-on-wk2-51820.html)

ccfoodog 12-19-2012 02:08 PM

WK front ELSD on WK2?

Just curious if anyone has investigated putting a ELSD from a WK on a WK2?

-john

Scottina06 12-19-2012 03:23 PM

Re: WK front ELSD on WK2?

with the electronics required to run the lsd....I doubt its possible

spyder873 12-19-2012 03:32 PM

You could put it on a switch. If you got a ectd then you would have limited slip as well

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

ccfoodog 12-19-2012 03:46 PM

Yah, I know you couldn't really integrate it with the existing QD control electronics. I was kind of thinking you might be able to rig an on-off switch like Spyder notes.

-john

suzieque 12-19-2012 04:24 PM

I think the elsd is really a function of applying the brake individually to each wheel via the abs, versus a locker like an arb. So installing the elsd would require integration with the wk2 abs.
Certainly I'd like to read otherwise if someone has better information.

ColdCase 12-19-2012 04:29 PM

Are you thinking about taking a WK front diff with housing assembly and trying to stuff it into a WK2? That housing looks a lot different, will anything line up? Are the half shafts compatible?

I don't think the WK2 front housing could be modified to accept the WK clutch motor, if there is even clearance for it. I forget how they are set up.

Perhaps the on/off switch may be the least of the challenges. :)

ColdCase 12-19-2012 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suzieque (Post 726642)
I think the elsd is really a function of applying the brake individually to each wheel via the abs, versus a locker like an arb. So installing the elsd would require integration with the wk2 abs.
Certainly I'd like to read otherwise if someone has better information.

With a manual switch, the two systems would be independent I would think. When turned on, the diff would be always locked so there would be no difference in wheel speed side to side, so the traction control ABS would never engage (perhaps when the front end is spinning more than the rear but that should be controlled by the transfer case clutches). If you provide a rotary knob instead of a simple on/off switch to allow different amount of diff clutch engagement, I suppose you could get some brake traction control action.

Anyway, you'd have to consider using this like any front diff lock, slow speed off road only in certain situations. Accidentally leaving it locked on the road could result in interesting handling behavior :)

spyder873 12-19-2012 05:33 PM

I know the ECtd can only be on or off, if you have it and are in 4wd ,then its on limited slip but if you have it turned on then it locks and the e- locker is either on or off. ( no limited slip option) .

I don't think a knob style will work. But if the it 4wd then it would be a limited slip .

It will reduce your turning radius by a little though.

JeepGuy026 12-19-2012 06:45 PM

This sounds interesting.... If it works

spyder873 12-19-2012 07:47 PM

I wonder if the carrier maybe the same in both , Then you would just swap the Carrier assembly ( carrier , Ring gear , pinion gear ) , Re shim and then connect up the electric part???? For this to be true then the axle spline count would need to be the same

ColdCase 12-19-2012 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spyder873 (Post 726674)
I know the ECtd can only be on or off, if you have it and are in 4wd ,then its on limited slip but if you have it turned on then it locks and the e- locker is either on or off. ( no limited slip option) .

I don't think a knob style will work. But if the it 4wd then it would be a limited slip .

It will reduce your turning radius by a little though.

The current ELSD locks up 95-99%, so it acts much more a locker than limited slip. So when you activate (turn on the power) the diff will be 99% locked, turn off the power, the diff will be open. No such thing as limited slip unless you modulate the power to the motor. Thats just how the recent system works.

Perhaps an older gyrotor hydraulic diff may work, but I don't think those were put on the metric gear sets... but I dunno. I think those work more like a limited slip until there is a bigger difference in wheel speed side to side.

ColdCase 12-19-2012 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spyder873 (Post 726743)
I wonder if the carrier maybe the same in both , Then you would just swap the Carrier assembly ( carrier , Ring gear , pinion gear ) , Re shim and then connect up the electric part???? For this to be true then the axle spline count would need to be the same

The carrier may be the same, but from the drawings I've seen, there is a clutch pack that fits over the axle and attaches to the carrier and motor for the ELSD as well as more axle splines. I don't think the conventional diff housing has the room for the clutch pack. The Y2010 front housings have different part numbers, so does the carrier assembly. Dunno the real differences. Sounds like someone needs to take a couple apart and see what could be pieced together. :)