Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Large A Pillar blind spot (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/large-a-pillar-blind-spot-51841.html)

jkratze1 12-19-2012 08:05 PM

Large A Pillar blind spot
 
The GC has a large A pillar and large side view mirrors. Together they create blind spots in that area which is annoying when turning, allowing cars to be hard to see while making turns. I have a roundabout intersection near my neighborhood and it is really apparent there. Anyone else have this problem?

Bart Man 12-19-2012 08:13 PM

Re: Large A Pillar blind spot
 
I would think 99% of us do ! :mad: and the other 1% are just full of it !!:lol:
Its very annoying but im getting used to it

BarryB 12-19-2012 08:17 PM

Re: Large A Pillar blind spot
 
I have gotten in the habit of leaning over the steering wheel at times when it happens. Bugged me at first, but now I have adjusted to it.

spyder873 12-19-2012 08:27 PM

Re: Large A Pillar blind spot
 
YEP! Only in a Commander
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e1...73/2-28-08.jpg

jgc4ever 12-19-2012 08:41 PM

Re: Large A Pillar blind spot
 
Yea, my WK was bad, but my WK2 is too. I take a long time when turning left , lean forward to see to my right, and turn slowly and keep trying to see.

JTS97Z28 12-19-2012 09:07 PM

Re: Large A Pillar blind spot
 
I agree with this thread 100%. My WK2 is the only vehicle that I have a thusly lost site of an entire vehicle behind those pillars. The worst situation was when there was a person that was about to walk in front of my Jeep in a parking lot. I did not see them at all behind the drivers side pillar and had to nail my brakes. I felt horrible, but I honestly did not see the person.

James

Yadkin 12-19-2012 09:33 PM

Re: Large A Pillar blind spot
 
Its a common problem in a lot of vehicles. I was maneuvering my Mustang out of a tight parking lot this morning and an old gal in a Honda came out of no where on my passenger side. She must have snuck out of an alley and was heading out to an unpaved area to do what who knows, neither point A or point B made any sense, but I was completely surprised to see her.

Vince_K 12-20-2012 01:07 AM

Re: Large A Pillar blind spot
 
Agree. This is my first vehicle with an airbag in there, so I attribute it to that. But seriously, I've been surprised more than once by things "hiding" there. My old Disco was all windows, great visibility. Like the others have said, I've had to compensate by peering around the pillars.

savvas 12-20-2012 01:11 AM

Re: Large A Pillar blind spot
 
I noticed this on our first test drive. However I have driven a few cars with the problem in various degrees.

A driver in a Mazda CX7 that t-boned our 2000 Holden Jackaroo (aka Isuzu Trooper in the US) claimed he didnt have any view of our car at the time of the accident because of the mirror and a pillar.

That Jackaroo/Trooper had the best visibility of any car I have driven.

Schweibs 12-20-2012 01:53 AM

Yes I experience this a lot. I have actually 'lost' cars in this blind spot a few times. Leaning forward when you need to look that way helps. Also elevating your seat more will help to see over the mirror some.

Jim_in_PA 12-20-2012 10:26 AM

Re: Large A Pillar blind spot
 
These type of visual issues are much more common these days on so many vehicles as the designs have been optimized for efficient aerodynamics and sporty looks...

padgett 12-20-2012 10:43 AM

Re: Large A Pillar blind spot
 
Not so much aero as support in a roll-over event. My 88 Buick has a ginormous A-pillar for that reason, sort of a forward roll bar. In the sixties you could dive for the floorboards, today restaints and air bags make that difficult so the roof must be kept from crushing the occupants.

My B/P Vette had a frame stiffener errr roll cage so am used to them, just takes leaning. More of a problem is the difficulty of judging the corners, even more difficult is the absurly small effective view out the back, anything under 4' tall is invisible. A rear view camera should be standard.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:34 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community