Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

Large A Pillar blind spot

10K views 29 replies 27 participants last post by  RoadiJeff 
#1 ·
The GC has a large A pillar and large side view mirrors. Together they create blind spots in that area which is annoying when turning, allowing cars to be hard to see while making turns. I have a roundabout intersection near my neighborhood and it is really apparent there. Anyone else have this problem?

#2 ·
I would think 99% of us do ! :mad: and the other 1% are just full of it !!:lol:
Its very annoying but im getting used to it

#4 ·
YEP! Only in a Commander

#6 ·
I agree with this thread 100%. My WK2 is the only vehicle that I have a thusly lost site of an entire vehicle behind those pillars. The worst situation was when there was a person that was about to walk in front of my Jeep in a parking lot. I did not see them at all behind the drivers side pillar and had to nail my brakes. I felt horrible, but I honestly did not see the person.

James

#20 ·
I agree with this thread 100%. My WK2 is the only vehicle that I have a thusly lost site of an entire vehicle behind those pillars. The worst situation was when there was a person that was about to walk in front of my Jeep in a parking lot. I did not see them at all behind the drivers side pillar and had to nail my brakes. I felt horrible, but I honestly did not see the person.

James
That happened to me too. Someone was walking in the crosswalk which was directly behind that pillar. I did not see them at all. I had to slam the brakes. Another time I was at one of those rare 5 way stops. One of the stops was directly behind the pillar. We both started to go simultaneously. I did not see them at all. I had to slam on the brakes again. No accident thank goodness.

#7 ·
Its a common problem in a lot of vehicles. I was maneuvering my Mustang out of a tight parking lot this morning and an old gal in a Honda came out of no where on my passenger side. She must have snuck out of an alley and was heading out to an unpaved area to do what who knows, neither point A or point B made any sense, but I was completely surprised to see her.

#8 ·
Agree. This is my first vehicle with an airbag in there, so I attribute it to that. But seriously, I've been surprised more than once by things "hiding" there. My old Disco was all windows, great visibility. Like the others have said, I've had to compensate by peering around the pillars.

#9 · (Edited)
I noticed this on our first test drive. However I have driven a few cars with the problem in various degrees.

A driver in a Mazda CX7 that t-boned our 2000 Holden Jackaroo (aka Isuzu Trooper in the US) claimed he didnt have any view of our car at the time of the accident because of the mirror and a pillar.

That Jackaroo/Trooper had the best visibility of any car I have driven.

#10 ·
Yes I experience this a lot. I have actually 'lost' cars in this blind spot a few times. Leaning forward when you need to look that way helps. Also elevating your seat more will help to see over the mirror some.

#11 ·
These type of visual issues are much more common these days on so many vehicles as the designs have been optimized for efficient aerodynamics and sporty looks...

#12 ·
Not so much aero as support in a roll-over event. My 88 Buick has a ginormous A-pillar for that reason, sort of a forward roll bar. In the sixties you could dive for the floorboards, today restaints and air bags make that difficult so the roof must be kept from crushing the occupants.

My B/P Vette had a frame stiffener errr roll cage so am used to them, just takes leaning. More of a problem is the difficulty of judging the corners, even more difficult is the absurly small effective view out the back, anything under 4' tall is invisible. A rear view camera should be standard.

#22 ·
The first series of WK such as my 2007 was bad, the second series like my current 2019 is even worse and just plain brutal. As others mentioned you have to look around the A pillar especially when making a left turn.

#25 ·
Yes, I'm driving a 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee, and it is a death vehicle for other people and other cars. Because you cannot see make a new left hand turn you just don't know anything, is there it hides an entire car. I've already gotten to one rec. And I almost repeated the same scenario twice so is a death rap. It really is for other people. They should really do some about it. Because I'm sure I'm not the first one that's done it.I'm sure of it. I mean, what if it's a pedestrian 1 day. Then what they should do something about it. That this a terrible terrible Vehicle to drive just Downright dangerous I refuse to drive it anymore

#29 ·
Then you should sell it ASAP!!! It's a death trap!!!!! 😲 Just what are "they" suppose to do about it? Those thick A pillars are there to hold the weight of that 5,200 lb SUV from crushing YOU when YOU flip it over. I think YOU need to re-evaluate your driving habits. :rolleyes: I and most others don't have the issue. You adjust for it by looking around it, not join here to complain about something you can't change. Or you could blow a lot of money by filing a class action lawsuit and make more lawyers rich. :ROFLMAO:

#27 ·
So, you've got to move your head a little more to check when you make a turn?
And this makes it a death trap?
Appears you may need to slow down a little and/or take some driving lessons🙄🙄
FYI I've been driving for over 60 years, 10 of them in WK2's, with no problems.