Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Performance Modifications (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f6/)
-   -   Tuning question, SCT vs. Diablo Predator (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f6/tuning-question-sct-vs-diablo-predator-5187.html)

ray101381 12-31-2009 07:24 PM

Tuning question, SCT vs. Diablo Predator

I have an 05 GC with the 5.7l engine. I recently started modding and am going to keep it really simple. I have the AFE Stage II intake, 180 thermostat, and magnaflow catback. i don't have the money for a custom dyno tune nor have the means to get a data log. my question is would i better off with a SCT canned tune from airram.com or use the 93 canned tune off the diablo predator. any first hand experience would be great. thanks in advance

HEMIBeast 12-31-2009 07:30 PM

Re: Tuning question, SCT vs. Diablo Predator

Welcome to JG!!

I don't know of any 5.7 jeeps that have a SCT tuner. Im sure they are good. But most of us are running and using the diablo predator. I have predator with a CMR tune and love it. I think you will find alot more feedback about the predator and experiences then you will find with the SCT handheld.

Frankie 12-31-2009 07:31 PM

I cant comment on the SCT tune, but I know a couple of us ran/are running the 93 Predator tune and LOVE it!

ray101381 12-31-2009 07:39 PM

for the predator 93 octane tune, is it designed for stock airbox and stock exhaust, or are the parameters designed for an intake and catback?

HEMIBeast 12-31-2009 07:44 PM

It is designed for both.

Joe in PA 12-31-2009 07:57 PM

I am running the 93 octane predator tune on my 07' WK and think it was well worth the money. I am running a 93 octane tune from SCT on my 09 Mustang GT and it exceeded my expectations. To be honest, for a slightly modded Jeep, I don't think you will be disappointed by either brand. The only reason I would pick one over the other would be if I knew I was going to mod the WK beyond an intake/exhaust and then I'd pick whichever brand my preferred speed shop used.

SPECIALED 12-31-2009 08:01 PM

Hey guys. I was also wondering about the predator to tune my 2005 5.7 grand cherokee. Is the predator tuner specific to the year of the jeep. Just want to make sure it is available for the '05 model year. Seems like it is, but want to be sure. Appreciate any feedback. :d

HEMIBeast 12-31-2009 08:04 PM

It's available for 05-08 and they all use the same handheld. U7137 is the handheld number.

SPECIALED 12-31-2009 08:21 PM

THANKS HEMIbeast......:D

hemi.jon 12-31-2009 08:23 PM

yeah just get a predator, with you mods, a dyno custom tune would be alot of $$$ wasted. im using a diablo 93 tune and love it

HEMIBeast 12-31-2009 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPECIALED (Post 124045)
THANKS HEMIbeast......:D

No problem brotha!!:thumbsup:

FlyinRyan 01-01-2010 11:37 AM

I can't speak about Diablo, but I have used SCT on and off for the past year. I was one of the first SCT tuned WJ's out.

A 93 tune on a Jeep (regardless of motor) is a whole different ride. I opted to go the custom tuning route and ultimately I am glad I did. I have only used a 160 dollar AEM wideband for "Datalogging". Unfortunately I have had other issues unrelated to SCT that have kept me from getting a clean pass at the track....

The biggest disappointment regarding SCT-specific tuning is the lack of transmission tuning. On the WJs and WKs all that can be done is removing torque management which is a big difference but it can't touch things like TCC operation, line pressure, etc etc. Very frustrating.

If you have no intentions to do custom tuning, you may also want to consider the Superchips handheld unit.