Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/)
-   -   2002 GC WJ Limited, coolant leak, HELP! (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/2002-gc-wj-limited-coolant-leak-help-51920.html)

Zackai 12-22-2012 11:13 AM

2002 GC WJ Limited, coolant leak, HELP!

Hey everyone, I will let this be a pseudo intro as well as a thread for my question.

I have been searching all over Texas for the right WJ, did all of my research, spent hours pouring over possible issues, best options, etc. Which includes lurking the heck out of these forums.

I ended up driving 200 miles last night to pick up a 2002 WJ Limited with the 4.7l HO V8, plus all of the goodies not exclusive to the Overland. Picked her up at under $2000 retail, by going with a hole in the wall dealership with an honest owner, who even shaved more money off the top without me asking when I brought up things I would need to fix, blend doors, back window hydraulics etc.

Now my issue, on the very nerve wracking 200 mile drive back I ended up with low coolant, It had enough to see it in the reservoir before I left. But the temp never peaked above 210, it was also 35 degrees with no heater...

While looking in the engine bay this morning I found a hose that is kinked to the left of the serpentine belt, which is also keeping the (freon?) hose from seating in its bracket. Which leads me to think it should not be that way...

Now, I call upon the vast info here on the forums to help me identify what this hose is, how it should normally look, and what problems it can cause, as well as if it is the cause of the leak, which seams to possibly have come from the radiator cap, but not 100%

Here are some photos I took to illustrate the issue.

Thanks everyone in advance!

Jeep Photos by beto2424 | Photobucket

Zackai 12-22-2012 11:32 AM

Re: 2002 GC WJ Limited, coolant leak, HELP!

Ok, so I see now after going back down there what someone did... They cut the two hoses, coming from the silver piping, and let them hand, and then they connected those two inlets with that flexed tube...

Was this in an attempt to hide a bigger issue, or a quick fix for some sort of minor one? Has me worried that they dealer may have done something to get one over on me...

Edit: "I started looking that up, and it seems to be a common fix for people living in southern state who do not normally need the heater. But I sure as heck did last night lol.

Now I am wondering if the hose used was too small, causing it to kink, which caused back pressure on the coolant, forcing a leak at the cap...."

StephenE 12-22-2012 12:43 PM

The hose that is kinked is to bypass the heater core and is kinked because it is too short. The hose that is not in it's bracket is one of the original heater core lines. Likely the heater core was bypassed because it is leaking. Here are instructions on removing and replacing the heater core: WJJeeps.com - HVAC sub assembly removal and installation
This can take 1 to 2 days depending on your mechanical skill level.

Frango100 12-22-2012 02:56 PM

Quite a job to change the heater core, since the whole dash has to be removed, but when you are handy, not impossible to do. You can then do the blend doors at the same time and the evaporator as well, so that you won't have to disassemble it again for a looong time.
Also have a look under the front carpets if its not soaked underneath. Depending on how long ago the heater core was leaking, it can still be wet and cause corrosion and/or bad odors after time.
There is a good change that the radiator cap is bad, so change that one first and see if the leak stops.

Zackai 12-22-2012 03:34 PM

Thanks for the responses guys, I ended up figuring that out, bought a u shaped hose, got it replaced. Will wait till I have all of the parts for all three then take a crack at it haha...

Now to figure out why it has a slight whine at idle.

Frango100 12-22-2012 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zackai (Post 727941)
Now to figure out why it has a slight whine at idle.

Does the whining sound change when steering? The power steering pump is well known to make a whining sound. Check the fluid level first.

Zackai 12-23-2012 03:42 AM

Will do that first thing tomorrow. I kind of feel overwhelmed at the moment because there are sounds and things I know I need to check out, like slight grinding sound once in a while while turning, that I believe is coming from the transmission, etc, but I have no clue as to the first place to start. I have only ever owned diesel trucks, and do not even know what sounds are normal or otherwise... And that is all aside from needing to replace resistors or motors for two windows, two speakers, and two hydraulics for the back window...

And all right in time for Christmas....

TheStreet16 12-24-2012 12:41 PM

When I used to get low on Power Steering, the pump would start to whine whenever I turned.

The window motors and back window hydraulics are easy.

Zackai 12-24-2012 01:03 PM

Thanks, I will check that out as soon as I get home.