Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Suspension/Driveline/Brakes/Wheels/Tires (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f109/)
-   -   Problem w 18s (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f109/problem-w-18s-51961.html)

Bostondan77 12-23-2012 06:19 PM

Problem w 18s

Just put on 18s from another member they only had 10000 miles on them and they are oem... Had them aligned and re balanced and they still drift to the left and sometimes the steering wheel turns to left and they have alot of road noise... Any suggestions please help!

Bart Man 12-23-2012 06:25 PM

Re: Problem w 18s

Rotate Tires and try again if still happens aliment is definitely out ! :thumbsup:

Bostondan77 12-23-2012 06:34 PM

Do you think that the increased noise is cause of that too? Also why would the rotate fix this? Sorry I'm not the best at this dtuff

Bart Man 12-23-2012 06:41 PM

Tires could be cupped wich is caused by the other GC out of aliment , That would create some noise , but rotation would be the easiest and cheapest solution for now !;)

ColdCase 12-23-2012 06:44 PM

They may be cupped/feathered, i.e. the tread blocks worn uneven, so they may be noisy when put on a different location. Often new tires will will feel dicey and catch road edges a bit before the wear in. After a couple hundred miles they should be OK, the WK2 likes to wonder around a bit. Dunno if they ever will quiet as once they start feathering its hard to stop them. One reason routine rotation is recommended.

Bostondan77 12-23-2012 06:45 PM

Let say that doesn't fix it what elese u think could possibly be the problem? And why would the rotation fix?

Bostondan77 12-23-2012 06:49 PM

Ty!

Bart Man 12-23-2012 06:50 PM

Could be a tire out of Round , meaning belts shifted in the tire , but please take it one step at a time , you could guess all day long !! When you balance each tire it will tell a lot ,but the pulling is usually aliment, aslo make sure tire pressure is good!

ColdCase 12-23-2012 08:31 PM

I made the assumption the tire pressure was double checked, and the lug nut tightness was double checked. Were they? A low tire may pull a bit.

Bostondan77 12-23-2012 09:38 PM

It's like the catching" you describe, I shouldn't have said pulled to the left, you described it perfectly... And there is more tire tire noise... I'm gonna go a few hundred miles an then see what my next options are because the dealer said everything was aligned and balanced.... You guys agree? Ty for help btw

jp467 12-23-2012 10:37 PM

Rotate the tires from left to right and right to left and see if it drifts the other way. It sounds like a tire pull and if thats it there is nothing you can do except replace the bad tire or tires.

BobT 12-23-2012 11:08 PM

Agree with all of the above. It would have been wise to have kept the same configuration, that is, his left front wheel on the left front of your car etc. Perhaps you did that. If not, look at the wear patterns and see if you can determine which where the front and which were the back wheels. Fronts ten to wear rounder, back tend to wear flatter, then move those you think were in the front to the front etc. See how that goes but you should still take them to a wheel place for a ballance wheel alignment. If that all sounds too messy, just take them to a wheel place. They will soon pick up on anything weird.